Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night we drove out to the barn where the local agility club practices, and got him all signed up for a beginner class! We also stayed around to chat with some of the owners and meet their dogs.

For the most part, the owners were very friendly. Most of the dogs we met were not super friendly to Levi, but they were all on-leash interactions, so I'm willing to take that with a big grain of salt.

We did get to watch a little of the beginner class, and I can already tell Levi is going to LOVE it. He really wanted to get out there and run around. Unfortunately the next session of beginner class with spots available isn't until February! So for now we are going to work on really sharpening up his obedience and recalls.

We've ordered two DVDs that will hopefully help us out (Foundation Fundamentals and Really Reliable Recall

Any tips are greatly appreciated! :)

Reactions: TheAdventureK9

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Yay for starting agility classes! Levi is going to LOVE it. Boo for having to wait until February. It might be a good thing though, with holidays coming up and all (thinking on the bright side!)

I have the Foundation Fundamentals DVD and it is a really good one. A lot of information. A lot to do. 6 DVDs worth of stuff. And there is never any equipment. Great start. You can also do that stuff with Heidi as well. In fact a lot of the dogs in the video are baby Border Collies.

Also I wouldn't be too worried about how the other dogs interacted with Levi. I know in my classes we really don't let the dogs interact. When I go to the field I want my dog to focus on playing with me, and only playing with me. Roxie has gotten to play with my trainers BC a few times but I really don't like to do that too often. I have found that there are quite a few not friendly dogs that do agility.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@jclark343 - I know, at first I was sad, it seems like such a long wait! But then I was thinking that I could actually maybe improve my fitness a little bit so I'm not so dead when we have to run around :p

I remember you suggesting that DVD set to someone wanting to start agility, so I definitely wanted to check it out. I'm definitely going to get going with Heidi, she is such a little smarty-pants.

I wonder if @agilityk9trainer has any suggestions? :)

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
I bet she does @agilityk9trainer is usually a wealth of knowledge!

Haha that fitness is one thing that gets me. I swear Roxie can run twice as fast as I can. That's why I love distance work. I adore my trainer and her BCs because she really doesn't have to really run that much they are so reliable with distance (much like agilityk9trainer, this women is the distance queen).

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@jclark343 - I forgot to tell you, we saw an Aussie at the agility club, and Ben was like "Hey, does jclark343 live near here, he looks just like Forbes!"

And I sadly had to inform him that it couldn't be Forbes because you live in Florida. XD

Reactions: jclark343

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Unfortunately we live very far away.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Congrats! Agility is seriously addictive!

I also wouldn't worry about the dog to dog interactions. As a general rule, we don't let our dogs interact while in class or even in the waiting room. There's usually at least one reactive dog in my class and we've never had any problems, everyone gives them space. Riley loves other dogs, but in class he really doesn't care for more than a quick sniff anyway (it's that much fun :p).

In my foundations class we worked on rear end awareness, basic obedience, eye contact, targeting and conditioning tricks like sit pretty and bow..

·
Registered
669 Posts
Awesome! Quenya and I just started our agility classes this past week. I'm only going through beginner with her to help myself learn, and then I'll be starting with Skipper since he'll be the one I compete with--maybe around the time you start with Levi! Do you plan to enter trials with him? Maybe even more specific goals? I'm still deciding for my pup.

Same thing with the other dogs--our instructor really enforces the no dog-dog contact rule.

Look forward to hearing about how Levi progresses!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Rileysaur - thanks we are super excited! I have gone to so many agility trials to watch and I watch Crufts every year! I can't imagine how addicted I'll be once I actually start!
@KatieToth - Thanks I'm excited! I think there will be a huge learning curve, probably way more for me than Levi!
@RoughDiamond - I saw that you're taking Skipper to go watch an agility trial, I hope you have fun! Levi is going to have a blast I'm sure. I'd like to compete with him, simply for fun, but I feel like Heidi is going to be the superstar. :)

I'm actually hoping for minimal dog to dog interaction so Levi gets more comfortable in heavy distraction areas. :)

Reactions: Rileysaur

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@jclark343 - The DVDs came yesterday, and I absolutely love the foundations set. SO much useful information, and it is great to see the trainers and their dogs learning and making mistakes.

Total must-have before you start agility!

Reactions: jclark343

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
@Shandula right?! I really think that is one of the best foundations videos!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts