Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rescued Sweetie when she was 5 weeks old 5 years ago. Due to the negligence of previous owner she was dumped on the side of the road and left for dead at just a few weeks old. When she was found her left eye was hanging out of her socket and had a severe eye infection in her right eye. Her left eye was removed. I came upon her a couple of weeks after her surgery at our local pet store where an adoption was taken place. As soon as I saw her I had to have her. There was no way I was walking away from her. I heard her story and it broke my heart. I looked at my sister and she nodded in approval, being that I was living with her at the time. After a week of her being in her new loving home she was still bumping into a few things come to find out the infection in her right eye caused her to become blind.

Since then she has been showered with love and she gets around very good. Her house training was fairly easy and I haven't had a problem with her until now. My boyfriend and I live in fairly large apartment with a nice patio and I have a good size porch potty for her. Lately when just the 2 of us our home and I'm busy around our place she pees on my dinning room rug. Mind you our patio door stays open all day and night for her to come in and out. When my boyfriend is home she goes outside. I have no idea what has changed she never had an accident in our last place, so why now?

Any insight on her behavior would really be helpful

·
Registered
254 Posts
My guess---there's animal urine on the rug from previous dogs that's attractive. That seems to be the problem in many cases. Rent a rug doctor, shampoo with the pet formula, then nature's miracle the whole thing, then let dry thoroughly. In the meantime ensure the dog gets plenty of treats for going on the patio.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was thinking, but we've been in our place for 7 months now. Wouldn't she have done it sooner if that was the case.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Not necessarily. They may have cleaned of vacuumed the rug themselves, or the landlord did it. The problem is not usually in the carpet pile itself, but in the carpet pad or even the sub-flooring. So weeks later, as the smell seeps up through the carpet the dog gets a hint. Eventually, it becomes too much for the dog to resist. Is there some spots that attract your dog more than others? I know owners who've had some luck with moving furniture or placing a rubber-backed throw rug (like the kind in bathrooms) over the problem area.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts