Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am in desperate need of some tips to make a horrible situation manageable. I have one dog that I am 100% responsible for, an Aussie mix. I currently live on my mother's ranch and she has 3 dogs (well 5, but two are old and can't really have exercise) that I end up doing all of the exercising and training for. My boyfriend has a BC mix that he takes care of. And my dad has a cocker spaniel and some sort of herding breed x bully breed x hound.

So here is what's going on:
I typically manage my time with all of these dogs pretty well, with most of it going to my Aussie mix because he is my dog. However, my dad is an alcoholic and sometimes has relapses. They are very bad and I feel like I have no choice but to go kidnap his dogs and keep them at my boyfriend's house until he gets better. I can't be sure he is remembering to feed them or that he's watching them (the mix is only 10 months old, and I worry she may get into something dangerous).

And that's fine, I have two more dogs to take care of now. But here's my problem: I can't deal with his 10 month old puppy. She drives me crazy. If it was just her, I would be fine, but it's 4 dogs.

My main problem with her is that she never settles. I walked her to park yesterday and played fetch with her for like 2 hours. She seemed tired, so I brought her back. But it didn't even make a dent in her. She was still bouncing off he walls and just running around the house. She's constantly harassing the other dogs. Even my energetic Aussie mix can't keep up with her.

She has no dog social manners. She really stresses out my boyfriend's sensitive BC mix by always jumping on her and licking her face, and the BC with bare her teeth and snarl, but Kyla just doesn't take the hint.

She harasses my bf's cat.

She barks at EVERYTHING.

When I go to let her out of the crate (which she is fine in when I put her in), she screams and spazzing out and just makes a ton of noise. I tried waiting until she was calm to let her out, but she doesn't GET calm. She is an endless ball of spazz. She never stops.

I mean, my major issue with all of this is she's not MY puppy. She is not trained at all, which is not how I would have done it. She's not socialized. I don't have the extra time on top of taking care of my own dog and my mom's dogs to completely exhaust her every day. I can't even get her to settle and stop bothering all the other dogs.

Any tips are welcome. I have had such an incredibly stressful time with this. I just want her to be manageable. She's not my dog, so the ways I know how to train don't really apply. They take time and I (hopefully) won't have her for that long. I am planning to go and get a ton of raw bones to give to everyone, hopefully that will help manage the craziness.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The thing is this is not a dog problem. You know what you're doing and how to solve the problem with the dog - you're just a human being with time limitations.

The issue is why you're put in the position to take on your father's responsibilities.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Sounds like this pup doesn't know how to settle. My 4 month is pretty restless, she spends a lot of time pacing if I let her. I do give her a lot of mental and physical exercise, she just doesn't know how to stop at night.

The wonderful advice that was given to me was to tie her up to a piece of sturdy furniture. The other dogs can escape her, you can escape her and she is limited to where she can go. After you exercise her physically, tie her up, give her something to chew on, get out of reach from her and relax. Watch TV, read a book, something. It works best if you are still and 'resting' too for starters.

My pup is loud too when I got to take her out of her playpen or crate. She gets excited and it was building up to scratching at the door, crying, howling, barking and so on. I ended up using a sit and wait cue. I would have her sit and wait until released before getting out of her crate...it has helped. She still cries but she doesn't dig at the door or bark anymore. This would be hard if you don't have the time for training. I'm sorry that you are in this position, I know how hard it is to deal with other people's dogs that are untrained. Its very frustrating.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Augusta: I know it's more of a human problem than a dog problem, but I was just hoping to get some management tips. Basically the same deal as if you were dog-sitting untrained dogs for someone on a trip. Thank you for acknowledging that I can only do so much, though. I appreciate it.

ThatYellowDog: You're right, she doesn't know how to settle. Tough thing to teach in a short period of time.

As for tying her to furniture, I'm not if that would work... Do you ever have the problem where you're puppy screams when tied? Kyla is very ADD (like a lot of puppies) and very bully in her personality (headstrong, one track mind, very persistent. If I tie her to something and give her something to chew on but she decides she would rather get to the other dogs, than she will ignore the chew and just flail and scream. Should I just let her do that and she will settle down?

I agree that the crate will take time to work on (my dad thinks crates are cruel, so I crate trained her last time this happened so she could at least be in a crate when I have to take care of her) As for a sit and wait, it's practically impossible with her! Any tips on how to make it work would be great. Do you just kind of stand there until she calms down, then do a sit and wait? Because the longer I wait, the more intensely she spazzes. I tend to give up after a few minutes because it's just so loud and I feel bad that my boyfriend and his roommate have to put up with the noise since this is totally my problem and they're letting me keep this unruly puppy here (where I don't even live). Do you think it would be worth putting up with the noise to get a result? She's a very smart puppy and quick learner. How many times did it take for you to start seeing results with your puppy?

Thank you for your sympathies. It has been hard.

Any advice on the cat? She's horrible. She stalks him and just stares endlessly at him. I know he can take care of himself, but I don't want to stress him out because he is injured and trying to heal. I don't have any baby gates (and can't buy any). He does have a room he can go where dogs can't get in. I think the answer is probably that there is nothing to be done besides just manage them so she can't bother him. But I thought I would check.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.