Dog Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have recently got a purebred puppy and I was wondering about registration. Both his mom and dad are AKC registered but I was not given papers for me to register my dog. When I contacted the breeder about this he said that he broke the breeding contract for the father of my puppy and could not register my dog. I really wanted to get some trick titles for my pup and get him into agility and other dog sports with an AKC registration. I don't want to neuter him until he reaches 2 so I can't get him registered with PAL. Is there anything I can do?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Hello! I have recently got a purebred puppy and I was wondering about registration. Both his mom and dad are AKC registered but I was not given papers for me to register my dog. When I contacted the breeder about this he said that he broke the breeding contract for the father of my puppy and could not register my dog. I really wanted to get some trick titles for my pup and get him into agility and other dog sports with an AKC registration. I don't want to neuter him until he reaches 2 so I can't get him registered with PAL. Is there anything I can do?
It sounds to me like you got charged the price of a purebred but it's not a purebred with proper papers. In other words, the snobs aren't going to call it a purebred even if is.

As for your goals of getting your pup certain types of training, I don't see how papers affect whether or not they can be trained. The AKC will probably give you access to all the training you want with an ILP registration. Look into that. The "official" papers are mostly important for exclusive access to certain events, to raise the noses of certain people just a little higher and to make money on breeding them.

My dog has papers and I really couldn't give a rat's ass about it. We went into the process to buy a dog that was a good fit for us, not to buy "elbow rubbing rights".

My point is to seriously consider if your goals can ONLY be achieved with "snob approval".

·
Registered
579 Posts
PAL is still an option. You'll just have to wait a little longer to register with them. Not a big deal (to me) since you have to wait for the bones to mature at about 2 with agility anyways. Same with the canine partners. In the meantime, your pup's breed club might let them in on their events, depending on the breed. Local events and general classes are still venues you can look into as well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes, I'd just be patient. Until your dog is 2 and you do neuter, train for the events you would like to participate in. Then get the PAL registration or whatever AKC is calling it now. I've done obedience, rally, carting, and drafting with my Rottweilers and never started one in actual competition until after 2 anyway.

Also, you can look into non-AKC competitions such as Barn Hunt. I have no idea what their rules are as to registration and neutering, but it's worth checking out.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Yes, I'd just be patient. Until your dog is 2 and you do neuter, train for the events you would like to participate in. Then get the PAL registration or whatever AKC is calling it now. I've done obedience, rally, carting, and drafting with my Rottweilers and never started one in actual competition until after 2 anyway.

Also, you can look into non-AKC competitions such as Barn Hunt. I have no idea what their rules are as to registration and neutering, but it's worth checking out.
Barn hunt and scent work, musical canine freestyle, and many other sports do not have any registration requirements to participate. Of course, if a person wants AKC titles in something, then AKC registration is required.

To me, though, what is a title? Worthless unless you plan to breed your dog and want to show competence in these things. Now, this is only my opinion, but I enter into activities with my dog for the purpose of getting exercise, training, having fun, and bonding. A title has nothing to do with those things, so isn't important to me.

If I were to give advice, I would say that if your dog cannot be registered with the AKC, just focus on what a terrific dog you have. And if you really want titles just because you want them, you can get titles in many things (like agility and musical canine freestyle) without AKC registration, because they have competitions outside of the AKC. Maybe look for those things.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It sounds to me like you got charged the price of a purebred but it's not a purebred with proper papers. In other words, the snobs aren't going to call it a purebred even if is.

As for your goals of getting your pup certain types of training, I don't see how papers affect whether or not they can be trained. The AKC will probably give you access to all the training you want with an ILP registration. Look into that. The "official" papers are mostly important for exclusive access to certain events, to raise the noses of certain people just a little higher and to make money on breeding them.

My dog has papers and I really couldn't give a rat's ass about it. We went into the process to buy a dog that was a good fit for us, not to buy "elbow rubbing rights".

My point is to seriously consider if your goals can ONLY be achieved with "snob approval".
Look into AKC canine partners. If your "breeder" broke their contract you aren't allowed to register your dog.
Dang, that sucks. We'll continue our training anyway lol. Can't wait till he's 2!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Barn hunt and scent work, musical canine freestyle, and many other sports do not have any registration requirements to participate. Of course, if a person wants AKC titles in something, then AKC registration is required.

To me, though, what is a title? Worthless unless you plan to breed your dog and want to show competence in these things. Now, this is only my opinion, but I enter into activities with my dog for the purpose of getting exercise, training, having fun, and bonding. A title has nothing to do with those things, so isn't important to me.

If I were to give advice, I would say that if your dog cannot be registered with the AKC, just focus on what a terrific dog you have. And if you really want titles just because you want them, you can get titles in many things (like agility and musical canine freestyle) without AKC registration, because they have competitions outside of the AKC. Maybe look for those things.
I'll make sure to check out the sports you mentioned! I only wanted to earn titles for the fun of it. Bonding and having fun is the most important part of my pups training.

·
Registered
953 Posts
There are lots of venue you do not need an AKC registration for. Welcome to Canine Performance Events, Inc. (k9cpe.com) Scentwork and agility. Welcome to RallyDogs.com rally obedience. ALL STARS | Universal Canine (universalcaninedogtraining.com) tricks and fitness created by a young girl. Home (weebly.com) Rodeo Dog Home - C-WAGS Many of these venues do not limit even dogs with disabilities. I participate in trials to because I enjoy seeing how well we work as a team. It allows me to measure my success at communication. It is always about fun with my dogs. If they don't enjoy it, we don't do it. If you really want to participate in AKC venues than yes you can register your dog through the PALS program otherwise just register as an All American. You can start to train in scent work at 4 months. Rally at 6 months. Agility you can start to train at around a year just no jumping until 18 months and even than you start out low. Whatever you decide to do make sure your dog is having fun which is the most important thing!!

·
Registered
525 Posts
For trick titles check out

·
Registered
57 Posts
To me, though, what is a title? Worthless unless you plan to breed your dog and want to show competence in these things.
Each to their own. Some of us find pleasure in training to certain levels and proving it by performing in difficult circumstances, in hanging out with others who feel the same. I've only competed with spayed bitches, never bred a dog and never will. I believe a great majority of the people competing in dog sports such as obedience, rally, tracking, and agility aren't breeders. It's a hobby pursued by people who love their dogs, love spending time with other dog people and learning new things, and love meeting goals and doing their personal best. Titles are souvenirs of accomplishments along the journey of a partnership.

The world's full of things I have no interest in. That doesn't make any of them worthless.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Each to their own. Some of us find pleasure in training to certain levels and proving it by performing in difficult circumstances, in hanging out with others who feel the same. I've only competed with spayed bitches, never bred a dog and never will. I believe a great majority of the people competing in dog sports such as obedience, rally, tracking, and agility aren't breeders. It's a hobby pursued by people who love their dogs, love spending time with other dog people and learning new things, and love meeting goals and doing their personal best. Titles are souvenirs of accomplishments along the journey of a partnership.

The world's full of things I have no interest in. That doesn't make any of them worthless.
Of course. I was only meaning worthless to me, and just my opinion. I certainly didn't mean that they were or should be worthless to everyone, but I should have made that more clear in how I wrote it.

I do Musical Canine Freestyle and my fellow freestylers often compete and even travel to competitions (or used to, before pandemic days) and get titles. I rejoice with them when they get a win. The fact that I am not competitive doesn't mean I don't think it's great that they want to do this and that they succeed so well. :)

·
Registered
953 Posts
Of course. I was only meaning worthless to me, and just my opinion. I certainly didn't mean that they were or should be worthless to everyone, but I should have made that more clear in how I wrote it.

I do Musical Canine Freestyle and my fellow freestylers often compete and even travel to competitions (or used to, before pandemic days) and get titles. I rejoice with them when they get a win. The fact that I am not competitive doesn't mean I don't think it's great that they want to do this and that they succeed so well. :)
Cool that you do musical freestyle. Do you have any videos of your partner and you??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts