Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to ask a question that I am confused about. A friend who is an AKC die hard told me he is leaving AKC for the UKC because of the Administrative Pedigree Research program. I read it but I am still confused. So basically it sounds like if you wanted to you can buy a pedigree from AKC, send them some names from it making it so there is no break and get a pup registered? Or am i missing something lol sounds all bad. Making me rethink AKC also. Can someone enlighten me on this?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I don't know if some words were autocorrected or something but I'm really confused as to what you're asking and saying. You have a friend who has an AKC registered dog and he's changing registration to UKC...why?

I also cannot understand what you are trying to say here: "So basically it sounds like if you wanted to you can buy a pedigree from AKC, send them some names from it making it so there is no break and get a pup registered?"

I really don't know what you're getting at but it's widely known the AKC is a rather immoral organization that does nothing to stop puppy mills, supports looks before health and puts other blocks on animal welfare laws.

But please rephrase what you're trying to say so we can answer it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
they are making the switch because of this program. I have read about it but dont understand. Dogs without papers can submit a pedigree and if the dogs listed are from stock they can now register with AKC?

AKC's newest registration service, Administrative Research Registration, is designed to serve breeders who want to restore their breeding stock's AKC registration eligibility. Dogs showing no breaks in AKC lineage may be eligible for AKC registration.

In order to determine your dog's AKC registration eligibility, staff will request a copy of parnetage documentation, such as a registration certificate or pedigree from another registry or bill of sale. Should the dog be deemed registrable and is approved, the AKC staff will register the dog following the current registration fee schedule and an additional $10 registration research fee. ALL LATE FEES WILL BE WAIVED.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
I have no idea why that program would be a problem TBH.

Basically, in order for a dog to be registered, it must have a pedigree. A pedigree is a written history of lineage. There are other clubs besides AKC that keep track of pedigrees. For example, the American Border Collie Association, or ABCA. If I were to buy a puppy that is registered with the ABCA, that program allows me to register my puppy with the AKC too, so I can compete in AKC events.

That's all it is. It basically just lets you register dogs with the AKC if they have a pedigree from elsewhere.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
I have no idea why that program would be a problem TBH.

Basically, in order for a dog to be registered, it must have a pedigree. A pedigree is a written history of lineage. There are other clubs besides AKC that keep track of pedigrees. For example, the American Border Collie Association, or ABCA. If I were to buy a puppy that is registered with the ABCA, that program allows me to register my puppy with the AKC too, so I can compete in AKC events.

That's all it is. It basically just lets you register dogs with the AKC if they have a pedigree from elsewhere.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gotcha, but wouldnt it be easy to make up a pedi and get an un papered dog AKC?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Gotcha, but wouldnt it be easy to make up a pedi and get an un papered dog AKC?
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm sure it's doable, but I'm not sure how easy it would be. If somebody is determined enough, they can probably fraudulently register a dog to any club.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
When a litter of purebred puppies are born, breeder has to register the litter and each puppy is assigned a litter registration number.......then when the puppy is sold that puppy's " Akc application"goes with the puppy's new owner and they have to register that puppy to get it's 'AKC papers'.......Well in many cases the new owners fail to register them, and misplace or lose that document but will have Dam & Sires Akc registration numbers, and a copy of the pedigree from the breeder to prove parentage. They can now have a way to register, although I have heard in some cases, DNA has to be submitted also!
Now as far as breeders having to restore eligibilty, I am thinking it could be for Breeders who were banned for infractions and now that their 'sentence' is up they are being given the opportunity to get back 'in'!
I know of one Poodle breeder who has been banned for 10 years from being able to register her dogs or participate in any AKC shows due to her kennel being raided by ASPCA!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts