Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have yet to register my GSD Riley mainly because I have been unable to decide on a name.

My ideas currently are:
Twisting the Keleidescope
Psych you out in the end
Spooky fox

I'd really love a name that makes a reference to one of my favorite shows, psych, x files, or supernatural or my favorite bands, twenty one pilots, imagine dragons, or bastille. Science-y names are cool too. Really I am open to any suggestions or opinions on my current ideas, because I am too indecisive to do this myself.

Also, how does capitalization work for names? Do you capitalize every word? Is it like titles? I've never done this before lol so Idk

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
So, I have yet to register my GSD Riley mainly because I have been unable to decide on a name.

My ideas currently are:
Twisting the Keleidescope
Psych you out in the end
Spooky fox

I'd really love a name that makes a reference to one of my favorite shows, psych, x files, or supernatural or my favorite bands, twenty one pilots, imagine dragons, or bastille. Science-y names are cool too. Really I am open to any suggestions or opinions on my current ideas, because I am too indecisive to do this myself.

Also, how does capitalization work for names? Do you capitalize every word? Is it like titles? I've never done this before lol so Idk
Others here are way more knowledgeable about name rules and such, but I *think* some breeds have guidelines people have to follow when giving them official names. I think I recall seeing some breeds require the breeder's name or initials in front, or limitations on how many characters can be used (I know in Thoroughbred racing it has to be at least 3, but no more than 18)
I think I read somewhere too, that some breeds like the name of the dog's parents included into the dogs name..etc.

I named my Golden Retriever, AU (the chemical name for gold) but, I never registered my pure bred Golden Retriever, because I planned on neutering him and was never going to have him participate in anything where I had to prove he was a pure Golden. :p

So you if you haven't yet, you might check to see what the naming rules for your breed are, and that might help things along.

Stormy

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
I have some Qs...

Does he have a kennel prefix? [his breeder's kennel name?]

Is he one of a lettered litter? ["starts with __ "]

Does his breeder have approval or disapproval rights to any name U might choose?

What were his parents' registered names? - sometimes a combined reference makes a terrific name. :thumbsup:
[Racing thoroughbreds are frequently named to tag both their dam's & sire's names, or a related idea that refers to both parents' names.]

Personally, i thought of:
- Kaleidoscopic Twyst
- Lyfe of Riley

"the life of Riley" was an idealized, contented, & easy life: no work, lots of leisure, do as U please; no money worries.
https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/the-life-of-riley.html

The actual person was Wm Reilly, a smallholder in Co. Sligo, Ireland, about 1780 / 1790 - he & the daughter of a local squire fell in love; the young woman persuaded him to leave the country with her, bringing her jewelry as a dowry. Her father naturally raised the alarm, they were pursued & caught, & he was tried for abduction & theft. // Her word cleared him, & they later wed.
Their drama became a popular ballad, & the phrase came to the U-S with the immigrants in the 1800s & early 1900s; it was widely popularized during WW-1, & was also a radio series, & later, a 1950s TV-sitcom.

WW-2 & beyond, on radio:
https://archive.org/details/TheLifeOfRiley

[there was also a 1949 feature film, of the same name.]

1953 - '58, 'the Life of Riley' on TV:
The Life of Riley (TV Series 1953–1958) - IMDb

Because GSDs arrived in the U-S as a few dogs after WW-1 [among them, Rin-Tin-Tin, named after a popular doll in wartime France, by the G-I who found the puppy in a bomb-crater], & later arrived in large numbers after WW-2, i'd think 'Life of Riley' to commemorate the breed's deliverance from the war-zone of Europe would be very apropos.

Generally, any word that's not an article [part of speech, such as of, an, a, the, & similar] in a dog's registered name is capitalized. So all nouns & adjectives would be capitalized.

- terry

·
Registered
60 Posts
As a crazy X-Files fan, the actor from Jose Chung’s from Outer Space is named Charles Nelson Reilly. You mentioned your dogs name is Riley, you could go with something from that episode.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
His breeder never specified any rules or themes with the naming and he doesn't need the kennel name.

Life of Riley sounds cool, and that's a really neat story behind it! Definitely would be fun to tell. I'll have to look more into it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I forgot to mention his parents names. Sire is Barrett Fifty Caliber and dam is Lady Lexi Ann

Psych is definitely one of my all time favorite shows, I have probably seen every episode at least eight times lol.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Others here are way more knowledgeable about name rules and such, but I *think* some breeds have guidelines people have to follow when giving them official names. I think I recall seeing some breeds require the breeder's name or initials in front, or limitations on how many characters can be used (I know in Thoroughbred racing it has to be at least 3, but no more than 18)
I think I read somewhere too, that some breeds like the name of the dog's parents included into the dogs name..etc.

I named my Golden Retriever, AU (the chemical name for gold) but, I never registered my pure bred Golden Retriever, because I planned on neutering him and was never going to have him participate in anything where I had to prove he was a pure Golden. :p

So you if you haven't yet, you might check to see what the naming rules for your breed are, and that might help things along.

Stormy
Dog Name Check - American Kennel Club

There are no naming rules specific to any breed, but some breeders may have certain request on theme or requirement to include their kennel name. Of course if they leave it up to the owner to register themselves than they run the risk of owners doing whatever they want. The AKC rules are fairly simple, up to 50 spaces, no profanity, and no show titles, there's some other minor rules but I doubt most people would ever run into an issue with those.

By the way the registered name can also be changed at least once as long as the dog has never won any points, legs, or titles, was not originally registered by the breeder and does not have any registered offspring. AKC came up with this ability fairly recently because lots of breeders were having issues with owners not abiding by their requests and coming up with really silly registered names.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts