Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question: If a breed is AKC, does the tail have to be docked?

Thinking about getting a Rottweiler with tail next year. I prefer one that is registered and from a reputable breeder. I always thought the tail has to go to be AKC. Does it? Or only for showing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Sadly in the US it will be very difficult to get a Rottie with an undocked tail from a reputable breeder.

The tail does not need to be docked for the dog to be registered with the AKC but docking is something that gets done very early - when the puppies are only a few days old.

Reputable breeders do not know at that point which dogs will be going where. Which dog will go to a show home? a companion home? a performance home? these decisions are not generally made until the dog is around 8wks of age and all the temperament testing and health clearances have been made.

In the UK and most if not all of Europe docking has become illegal. The US hasn't quite gotten there yet.

So a breeder is not going to want to leave a puppy undocked and risk that puppy being the one with the most show potential.

If you really want a puppy with an undocked tail from a good breeder you may need to look at importing one from across the pond.

Reactions: jclark343

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I know it won't be easy to find what I'm looking for, but I do believe in luck. But it's good to know that the possibility of an AKC Rottweiler with tail is out there.

Now that brings me to another question. If the dog (with tail) is registered in another country, like somewhere in Europe, will AKC recognize it? And are some foreign clubs recognized in the US?

I'm looking for a pet/performance dog, not for show.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Thanks! I know it won't be easy to find what I'm looking for, but I do believe in luck. But it's good to know that the possibility of an AKC Rottweiler with tail is out there.

Now that brings me to another question. If the dog (with tail) is registered in another country, like somewhere in Europe, will AKC recognize it? And are some foreign clubs recognized in the US?

I'm looking for a pet/performance dog, not for show.
I can't tell you how it is with the AKC and the FCI, since the FCI is just an umbrella organisation for a lot of different breeding clubs in different nations.
But the German ADRK (Allgemeiner Deutscher Rottweiler Klub /"general german rottweiler club") will be accepted by the AKC. In Germany docking the tail (since 1998) or the ears (since 1987) is forbidden. some probably still find a way do it, but since the ADRK is member of the FCI and the FCI is also discouraging breeders to do it, you'll find an undocked puppy relatively easily.
there's a list on the AKC website of foreign breeding club registries that get accepted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts