Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up to the agility fans here. The AKC Agility National Championships are coming soon. They will be March 18th - 20th in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Live streaming will be available through this link. It should be free. :) It should start on Friday, March 18th.

Live Stream – 4 Legged Flix

For the running order and all other information about nationals, you can check out the AKC's National's webpage at:

AKC National Agility Championship - American Kennel Club

Asher and I are entered. We may not be competing as Asher has a back injury. He is currently on crate/house rest. He got injured 10 days ago at an agility trial in Texas. Really bad timing. :( If he is ready and cleared by his doctors, he will be going into Nationals with no practice or trials for six weeks. We are doing rehab to keep him in shape though. We weren't expecting to do well anyway, so we're going for the tee shirt and a good time. This is my 11th year to qualify. This will be my sixth time to go.

Who else is going? I know there may be folks here going to volunteer, shop and cheer. It is always a spectacle to be there in person with 1,200 or so of the best teams in the Nation. The shopping is usually fantastic too. :) The vendor list is on the AKC website listed above.

If you can't go, check out some of the action via the live stream. It's a blast to watch such amazingly well trained dogs strut their speed!!

Here's a vid of the first Nationals I attended in Sunbury, Ohio is 2007. This is with my little sheltie, Aslan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL-TJ2l3vBI

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Oh what a bummer about Asher's injury! What horrible timing. Do the doctors think it will be cleared up by then? Fingers crossed it comes together! I definitely will be trying to watch!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The doctors think we will be able to go. I will be visiting with the chiropractor Asher sees on check in day at Nationals. She will do the final evaluation and determine for me whether he is fit to run or not. If not, we will stay the night in Tulsa and then go home Friday. If he is, we will run. I am hoping we can run. :)

Thanks so much agility collie mom!! That video is actually of my first "real" agility dog, Aslan. Asher is the boy I'm going to Nationals with this year. Here is one of his vids. He's a bit of a monster. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDAJ789tdts

Reactions: jclark343

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The AKC just announced that the 2017 Agility Nationals will be in Perry, Georgia, for those of you in that neck of the woods. :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
The doctors think we will be able to go. I will be visiting with the chiropractor Asher sees on check in day at Nationals. She will do the final evaluation and determine for me whether he is fit to run or not. If not, we will stay the night in Tulsa and then go home Friday. If he is, we will run. I am hoping we can run. :)

Thanks so much agility collie mom!! That video is actually of my first "real" agility dog, Aslan. Asher is the boy I'm going to Nationals with this year. Here is one of his vids. He's a bit of a monster. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDAJ789tdts
Poety in motion! You brought tears to my eyes. The love between you is so obvious!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow!! What a great compliment. :) Thank you so much. I will try to remember it when we are in the midst of Nationals competition. :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thank you so much for posting this! I will love watching this, as I'm just getting into agility. So sorry to hear about your Asher, I hope he heals up soon so you can have fun at the event. Maybe we will see you in the live stream!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am packing for Nationals, but I wanted to drop in and post this link. It is the AKC Nationals page, and it will have everything you want to know about viewing Nationals on live stream. You can find the judging schedule, running order, rules, judges, dogs and more...including the link to find the live stream (which is posted above too).

Asher will be evaluated tomorrow to see if he is good to go or not. He will get evaluated by his doc at Nationals. We practiced today. He looked great physically. However our time off has left us extremely, shall we say, RUSTY? I don't hold out any hopes for qualifying successes for us this year, but if he is well enough to run, we will have won "our Nationals."

AKC National Agility Championship - American Kennel Club

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
@agilityk9trainer, Good luck today! I hope the vet gives you the all good and you're able to compete, even if you do think you're "rusty".

Can't wait to hear how it goes!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, our 2016 Nationals are over after one run. Asher wouldn't make sharp turns on his sore shoulders for me, and after a small slip on jump 3, I was so scared he was hurt I couldn't handle. You can't watch your dog run AND handle. He was jumping well as long as there were no sharp turns. Asher had a blast running wide. I am good with pulling him. We got to go to the start line at Nationals again. That is a big accomplishment for us. I was able to relax, enjoy cheering for my friends at Nationals, and shopping at the many super vendors.

I hope many of you got to enjoy the live feed from Nationals. It was fun watching friends on it!!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Asher and I at Nationals. He's a great dog!! I am very blessed.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Sorry to hear that Asher's shoulder bothered him. Hopefully with more time he will be alright again. I am finally back into Agility again after being off for over a year and having a bypass in my one leg. Have my Doberman and my female Shih Tzu x Maltese, ready to go this year. Quite a challenge running a big dog and a small dog.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts