Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading online about getting a dog's ears groomed and someone said that they turn their Cavaliers' ears when they're on the couch sleeping, to "air out" the ears. I never heard of this before and was wondering if anyone knows if there's a real purpose to this and if it's necessary? Curious. :p

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
It's necessary for some dogs. For dogs like Cavs and beagles, whose long, floppy ears block normal air flow, ear infections can be a serious problem. With air flow, the ears become a perfect breeding ground for bacteria: dark, moist and no air.

So exposing the inner portion of the ear to the air is a good method of helping to prevent infection.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I was reading online about getting a dog's ears groomed and someone said that they turn their Cavaliers' ears when they're on the couch sleeping, to "air out" the ears. I never heard of this before and was wondering if anyone knows if there's a real purpose to this and if it's necessary? Curious. :p
Yes. But I use drying powder after cleaning his ears to keep my hounds ears dry because I cant keep his ears back and open enough to help. Ear infections are a huge problem with dogs that have ears that hang down. The air does not circulate in the closed ear so allowing air in will help keep the moisture from building up in the ear and help stop the build up of bacteria that grows in a damp ear.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Yes. But I use drying powder after cleaning his ears to keep my hounds ears dry because I cant keep his ears back and open enough to help. Ear infections are a huge problem with dogs that have ears that hang down. The air does not circulate in the closed ear so allowing air in will help keep the moisture from building up in the ear and help stop the build up of bacteria that grows in a damp ear.
I use Epi-Otic Advanced Ear Cleaner several times a week on Kabota. That, along with going totally grain free, seems to have done the trick. I can't pull back his ears because they're too short for that.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I luckily have not had any problems with my Lab's ears thus far (he's 2 1/2), but I do try to air out his ears every once in awhile and flip them while he's laying next to me. It's more for my own peace of mind that at least some air is gettin' in there. Plus he just looks adorable when he's rockin' his ear-buns look. :)

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
maybe i should mention this to my sister she has a beagle

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
I had never heard of it, but my husband and I frequently flip our dogs ears over because it looks goofy and makes us laugh. We call it a "party hat."

Reactions: Megs87

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had never heard of it, but my husband and I frequently flip our dogs ears over because it looks goofy and makes us laugh. We call it a "party hat."
Haha, cute!

I'd love to know how many people actually flip their dog's ears over to air them. Never ever heard of it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where I live it’s hot and humid and my cav loves an evening play with the hose and water. I dry her with a towel and then flip her ears till she goes to sleep. Keeping them as dry as I can

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Ours has floppy ears and is prone to ear infections. To help air flow, I constantly trim the hair, as much as I can, that blocks her ear canal. That helps some, but its a never ending task. Our groomer, at our Vets, used to pluck those hairs, but Vet says that actually causes more infections then it prevents, so that practice was stopped. She is good to let us know early on, when one of her ears bothers her, so we can start treatment early, before it gets bad. She also seems to understand that putting medication in her ear helps her, so she is very tolerant and lets me clean and treat her.

·
Super Moderator
1,877 Posts
This is quite an old thread, but can you get Thornitt powder in your countries? A pinch of that is great for ear problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts