Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... annoying, gullible, and incredibly naive!

When i first made this account I had absolutely no idea what I was talking about, was argumentative even when I knew I was wrong, gave horrible advice, and ridiculed those that I disagreed with in the slightest (faceplant emoji here)

Anyone else regret their younger behavior?? Ive still got plenty of time to learn as I am still QUITE young and naive, but at least I’m not as much as an annoying little -

Well anyway, thanks for putting up with me everyone! I’ve learned a lot about dogs from this thread and I really enjoy seeing everyone who is still around from a few years back (as well as newbies who seem to all be much more level headed than I was!)

Side note, do we still do secret Santa’s? I know it’s a ways off but that was so fun to participate in, I wish we did more stuff like that year round!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also realize i meant to put this in general chat not dog chat �� I have more to learn than I thought

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Lol, you're also very hard on yourself! I think everyone thinks they know everything when they're young, and enthusiasm and being lucky enough to overcome some issues with an early dog can make you feel like an expert fast. I don't mean you specifically, more a general you.
I had two dogs before my current one, both of whom happened to have aggression issues and were never around other dogs. Neither of them had any trouble with recall ever. Just not an issue. I successfully managed or fixed the aggression issues with no trainers and felt like quite an expert. Then I got my current dog, anxious, super sensitive, barked but never bit and talented escape artist who I couldn't catch for anything! Not kidding he used to jump out of my car, chewed through eight and a half leashes in five or less minutes each, took off a harness and opened a door once in one move, and jumped TWO six foot fences together. Nothing could outsmart him. Took me an hour every flipping night in the dog park to catch him. If I didn't take him and let him play he was a terror. Talk about a humbling experience. All his issues were completely different from anything I'd ever dealt with. I have a horse who's also an escape artist but he comes to me with treats and escapes when he's bored. Different. And he loves other dogs so I've learned so much about dog play, fights, social behavior and just in general from him.
So I'm sure I was obnoxious when I was younger and before I got this dog too. My last dog was perfect loose everywhere. I took credit for that and didn't realize how lucky and spoiled I was and what a saint he really was. I also can be very argumentative. I'm trying to be wiser and more accepting as I'm older, just give yourself some credit!!!

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I wasn't so bad here, but I was on forums when I was younger and it just wasn't great.

I have gone back and read my very first thread about Chisum and how scared and alone I felt and I'd love to give that version of me a hug. Because yeah, I was 100% right then in the fact that he is so not normal, but I was totally wrong that I wouldn't be able to handle it.

For secret santa - yes! Maybe that can come back this year. I don't think it's been done for the past two.

·
Super Moderator
10,786 Posts
LOL, I've never been overly argumentative, even when I was younger but boy did I think I was a dog expert when I first joined DF! I was pretty sure I knew all about dog behavior, good at understanding their body language, and a decent trainer. I quickly learned that most of what I knew was outdated and wrong, and that I had a lot to unlearn and learn. Luckily the awesome members of DF was willing to help me learn, answer questions, and were forgiving of my bad advice while correcting it.

To understand just how off track I was back then, I really, really, liked and admired a certain T.V. dog "psychologist" that was very popular around the time I joined DF.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Sounds like me when I got my first wolfdog. Yes I read everything I could, visited wolfdog breeders and rescues before hand, preped as best I could, thought I had it all figured out.

I grew up with trained mountain lions in our home - Hollywood actor cats so, this wolfdog idea seemed a cinch after learning to handle the big cats. Of course I dove in head first with a high content male and, soon learned that I knew a lot of words and lacked a lot of practical knowledge.

Seven years later, I might have this wolfdog "mom" thing under control but, I can still learn more.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've always enjoyed debating opinions, some might call it "arguing" but that's fine by me.

I've found that spirited discourse gives one the opportunity to test the validity of their opinions/beliefs. Over time I have found that, even though I do not enjoy being wrong but when proven or shown I am wrong it gives me an opportunity to become one bit smarter going forward or I can cling to my incorrect opinion/belief in an effort to protect my ego. I guess I have chosen to try and become smarter instead of priding my ego.

The thing I enjoy so much about dogs and training is there is so much grey area since dogs still don't speak as plainly as we'd like and there are numerous ways to achieve a similar result perhaps. I think we all become smarter about how we interact with our dogs over time and if I could do it all over again, I would have been very different with my first few dogs but that is how life generally works, live and learn as "they" say.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I also enjoy hearing and debating opinions ( in a good natured, mature way ). This is only the second forum I've been on and I feel like I've learned a good deal here. Hell, I came on this forum due to the " positive only " mentality being new to me- figured I'd see what it was all about- and there are definately some very knowledgeable, kind people here. As far as the younger, argumentative thing goes, it seems like everyone in their twenties goes through that. I deal with it on a daily basis with my employees. Not fun. But I think that as long as everyone is honest, and trying to learn and help each other instead of arguing for the sake of arguing, we can all learn from each other. We all have different experiences to draw from.
And yeah, when I think back to even ten years ago- to my skill and knowledge as far as dogs go- I want to beat my head into a wall.

·
Super Moderator
9,240 Posts
Oh you wanna talk about being embarrassed by your younger self, Facebook memories have reminded me how young and naive I was. I think everyone evolves in everything they do, things like dogforum allow us to have documentation of that progression that we can look back at.

I think we have all had our days and times where we hung on to something for longer then we should have. As long as we eventually learn that's all that matters!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts