Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My beagle that is 11 months old has in the past week has become very aggressive. Before this past week he was extremely friendly with everyone and seeked lots of attention. Suddenly one day last week he began growling and trying to bite when approached. Sometimes he still is happy but other times people can walk up to him and he growls and barks. He has not been fixed as I was asked to breed him but now I am considering having this done. Could this behavior be temporary, Should I have him fixed, or could there be other issues? Please help

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
My beagle that is 11 months old has in the past week has become very aggressive. Before this past week he was extremely friendly with everyone and seeked lots of attention. Suddenly one day last week he began growling and trying to bite when approached. Sometimes he still is happy but other times people can walk up to him and he growls and barks. He has not been fixed as I was asked to breed him but now I am considering having this done. Could this behavior be temporary, Should I have him fixed, or could there be other issues? Please help

In my experience when you wait to neuter them and they pick up this behavior it can help but sometimes its too late. Who asked you to breed him? Please don't...there are TOO MANY breeders out there. He should be neutered for many reasons, testicular cancer, aggression, dominance, etc. (which like I said could be too late I do not know for sure)

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
If the aggression is sudden he needs to go to the vet and get his thyroid checked.

Ditto on pawz comment. Leave the beagle breeding to the experts and neuter you dog there are thousands of homeless beagles already. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
i agree, take him to the vet.
before you decide to breed look into the health and behavioral issues that can come from this.
FYI 5,000,000 dogs are euthenized every year in the U S. most of them are healthy and could be great pets but are "destroyed" and "disposed-of" for lack of space. think about this when you look into your dog's eyes and ask yourself if you would like to contribute to the overpopulation of pets and their subsequent deaths.
please leave the breeding to the experts....

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Someone just dumped a beautiful little girl beagle at my husband's business a little over a week ago. We got her before she was hit on the highway and brought her home.

Several days later, we turned her over to beagle rescue when they were finally able to find someone to foster her. They were full but managed to squeeze one more in.

They have lots of beagles in rescue now because people can't take care of them, don't want them any more, whatever the reason.

So here's another vote for neutering him. Better for him and for you and doesn't bring more beagles into the world.

Jo

·
Registered
55 Posts
Odd for a beagle to get suddenly aggressive at such a young age, I would take him to a vet and get him checked out for anything psychically wrong with him, and I would neuter him to. But also look back to see if anything in the past week or two since this behavior started that could have frightened or frustrated him. I have a beagle too and his is the sweetest thing except when little kids bother him a lot then he gets a bit aggressive, but I don’t blame him there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts