Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my puppy, Rudy, about a month ago. He's a lab-bulldog mix and is about 10 weeks old. When I take him on walks, he acts like he doesn't want to go out of the door. Rudy whines and tries to pull away, then he just gives a grunt and trots outside. When we start to go down the street, he keeps pulling back and whining, wanting to turn back, then Rudy finds a pinecone and picks it up. I try to grab it from him saying "Drop it!" but he tries to pull away from me. When it seems like he finally starts to walk with me, he chases after my legs, and tries to mount them, and bites my pants. Rudy's made me bleed through the skin many times, so now my legs are covered in puppy bites and he's ruined a good pair of pants. I try to just keep walking, but when he bites, he won't let go. If I try to pick Rudy up, he'll bite my shirt or hand and I can't take it out of his mouth because his grip is so tight. He's great to play with, but awful on a walk. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well, first of all, I can't believe that you're fighting a "Don't pick up the pinecone" battle with an 10 week old. "Drop it" is too important of a command to waste on a pine cone. This is 10X as true during a walk. During a walk your job is to teach your puppy to walk nicely. As long as he's not biting other people, eating garbage or doing something dangerous, you need to focus on one thing at a time.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Here's a couple sticky threads with info, links, and training videos.
http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/biting-mouthing-nipping-168082/
http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/loose-leash-walking-1683/

Something I tell my puppy clients is that for now, walks are really all about training. It'll be a while before you can just go out for a nice, leisurely walk with your dog. I teach polite walking via multiple games and methods (see vids in link above). Also best to start in a low distraction setting.

For grabby, mouthy puppies, especially those constantly picking up stuff, teaching them to carry a favorite toy on walks can be helpful. If your puppy drops the toy, immediately encourage him to pick the toy back up. You'll still need to manage him though by keeping him away from pinecones and other interesting stuff as much as possible.

If he does happen to grab a pine cone or something else, rather than fighting him, try trading him several dropped or tossed treats for the pine cone. Or play with the toy and see if you can redirect him to the toy.

Biting you...
Biting tends to happen most when puppies are overstimulated or understimulated. If it's happening out on walks, he's likely overstimulated (too much going on, can't handle it, so get's nutty). Try shorter walks/outings (again right now walks are really going to be training sessions more so than exercise). As your puppy learns how to walk on leash you can begin increasing length of walks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My pup was the exact same at that age! He constantly threw little tantrums on walk and has drawn blood so many times. Pushing him away or resisting never really worked. The suggestions above about redirecting him with a treat or toy is the way to go. With proper guidance he'll grow out of this silly phase!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was worried if Rudy would always be crazy on walks, but he just needs time and practice. Thanks for the advice about the toy!

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
On more thing to add-his reaction to your saying "Drop it!" makes it sound like you scared him. Puppies are pretty fragile sometimes and even just using an unfriendly tone can be very punishing-but what they learn isn't always what you want them to learn (instead of thinking he should drop his awesome new pine cone toy, he learns that you in general are erratic and scary outside). He doesn't even know the cue in that context reliably yet-your words don't mean anything to him until you teach him what they mean. It helps to change your expectations so neither of you get frustrated and focus on the behaviours you DO want rather than the ones you don't.

Also, pine cones are pretty hilarious and harmless in general-they make a good 'toy' to carry around, because if he drops it, he can find another-and they cost you nothing. Just an idea since he's always fond of them :) Some people use sticks for the same reason. Things like napkins, random scattered dog treats, needles, cooked bones...are way more dangerous, and you can reward him for ignoring those things by playing with safer things that he can still find outside.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I got my puppy, Rudy, about a month ago. He's a lab-bulldog mix and is about 10 weeks old. When I take him on walks, he acts like he doesn't want to go out of the door. Rudy whines and tries to pull away, then he just gives a grunt and trots outside. When we start to go down the street, he keeps pulling back and whining, wanting to turn back, then Rudy finds a pinecone and picks it up. I try to grab it from him saying "Drop it!" but he tries to pull away from me. When it seems like he finally starts to walk with me, he chases after my legs, and tries to mount them, and bites my pants. Rudy's made me bleed through the skin many times, so now my legs are covered in puppy bites and he's ruined a good pair of pants. I try to just keep walking, but when he bites, he won't let go. If I try to pick Rudy up, he'll bite my shirt or hand and I can't take it out of his mouth because his grip is so tight. He's great to play with, but awful on a walk. Anyone have any ideas?
Mine started that behaviour at 6 months, bigger teeth too! It's a phase, Lucy had three good weeks before Christmas of not grabbing at me on walks, then went back to it and has had almost a week of not grabbing again. The best thing is to let him explore and enjoy his walk, let him sniff around and let him play with the pine cone. Just watch for garbage. Lucy responds better if I don't engage too much during our walk. I make her sit before crossing streets, and hardly talk to her. It seems to keep the crazies from happening. When I was trying to bark orders at her and try to make her heel the whole time is when she started having tantrums. It's not fun if we are constantly bickering at them. I also don't wear good clothes around her either. Old jacket and jeans only. Try training on the leash in the yard, reward with some of her kibble (I save about 10 kibble so from each meal rashon and we practice her commands every day) Make it fun. Puppies are cute but very trying at times. Biting comes with the territory-he's not being aggressive at this point. He's rough playing. Mine still does it at 10 months, mostly during playtime at home and she gets a time out when she does it. Consistency is definitely key and I'm still working on it.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts