Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Okay in 4H my instructor is telling me I need to slow down my dog... a few weeks ago she was saying how it would take most likey years to get him into it. He LOVES it though! He is one of the fastest dogs on the course now and he has only been to 8 practices while all the other dogs have been doing it since May (at least 2 a week). Quite frankly, I don't see the problem, he does everything I say on the course (its been tested lol, going from a spring to a sit) and knows all of my hand movements and words, gets the contact zones, rarley misses my cues or obstacles, and if i say come while he is doing it he will. She says i need to have more controll becuase he is running in front of me....I told him to becuase he is ready. She thinks I have no controll though, but really, how could I get a sprinting pit bull to stop and sit instantly if I didn't have controll. And no, I don't use treats.
Is this actually bad? becuase I am planning on getting into real dog agility compitions soon and if it is good, then they can live with it lol. And a few questions, is it a foul to jump off the see saw before it touches the ground if he makes sure his back two paws touch? Thanks Guys!!!!!!!

Megan & Scout!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Is he making errors? If hes getting ahead of you and making errors, then I would agree with slowing him down. If he is not, well... personally my thought is YOU need to get faster :p

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he isn't making errors at all lol and me getting faster isn't possible! haha we jog everyn night and he lags behind then but goes crazyyyy in agility! lol but I'm the fastest girl on my track team so I train pretty intensly lol...he is just faster! lol ;)

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
honestly, you don't have to listen to everything your "trainer" says. YOU ARE THE TRAINER. The only issue you could have is once you get more advanced him being to far out could cause issues. You could work on pausing on contacts, say do two on two off and have him wait for you to release him once you have gotten ahead.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks....just wondering lol...btw, I think i have seen your dog on youtube before...does she do a lot of agility?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
No. She is to young. She is only 8mo. We did a "puppy Agility" I hated it, she loved it. But she needs time to grow. Someday we will get back in to it. I won't put here in harms way, she speed demon as well.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
A lot of people with fast dogs teach their dog to maintain their contact so they can catch up and release them. As long as when he is racing ahead, he is listening to you I cannot see any reason to slow him down. It sounds like you have control of him but your trainer may be seeing something you are not.

Has she trained her dogs through to Masters and have titles on them? I was told at the start to NOT slow your dog down as speed is what you want as long as it comes along with control. When you get to the more advanced levels, your dog has to make more turns, pass by obstacles, etc. so they have to be listening to you.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
We are on youtube, not often... lol Shes not doing formal agility:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh okay...Zoeys talented!! lol and kyllobernese- she really is just the 4H dog lady. We are tasking formal classes this august together. But she breeds bullmastiffs, so im not really sure how that relates her to agility.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts