Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently started training my 6-year-old Miniature Schnauzer, Molly, some basic agility. Today, we focused on her jumping. As I'm not an expert in the subject matter, I was hoping that someone who is more informed could provide some constructive criticism on how we may improve in the future. Here are a few pictures from today's training session (I apologize for the bad picture quality and the poor angle. I'll try to get some better ones tomorrow):

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
what height do you currently have her jumping? And what are her measurements at the withers?

Side shots might be a bit better so we can see extension etc. I'm also terrible at critiquing, but there's a FB page that's dedicated to structure of performance dogs and the people on there could probably help you out a lot

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's currently jumping at 18 inches. She's 14 1/2 inches at the withers.

Here are some more pictures from today's training session. It's 90+ degrees here today, so I had to take her outside early this morning, and we couldn't stay out for very long. I tried to take shots from various angles (if you need it from a different angle, I can try taking some more picturestomorrow). I had two jumps set up while we were practicing, which is why she is jumping off-center in some of the pictures.

·
Registered
574 Posts
You are asking her to jump too high. At her withers height, the highest she should be jumping is 16", and if you do not plan to compete, 12" is all you need to jump her. Remember, the higher she goes the more gravity will slam her down. Repetitive jumping can cause arthritis and other problems later in life. Jump her lower to keep her safer.

You can see she is struggling to jump that height in a few of the pictures. In one, you can see her back "curl" in a slight U shape. This indicates a dog either with poor jumping posture or a dog that is struggling to jump their height. You can see several of those slight Us in the pictures above. You can find a few where she is jumping with a straight back and her head is down. That is proper form.

Make sure you are jumping her low to encourage proper jumping skills and make sure you are not holding any treats or other things over her or out and above her as she jumps. That will only encourage her to jump with her head up, which you do not want.

Most importantly, lower your jump height. Agility jumping is NOT about jumping high. It's about proper jumping that is safe for the dog. :D

Have fun!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts