Dog Forum banner

Aggressiveness in puppy?

2K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  toedtoes 
#1 ·
We have a 13 week old golden retriever puppy. When he takes something he shouldn’t have, he runs and hides under the table or coffee table. The only way to get him out is to show him a treat. Today my youngest approached him as he was under the table and he very meanly growled and came at her. Is this normal behavior? Seems young to be acting this way. He has also growled at me once when I approached him under our coffee table a few weeks ago when he again had taken something he was not supposed to have. I then backed off and grabbed the treat box. He only growled though and didn’t go any further. So now we just grab the box when he has something but my youngest (5) forgot and instead approached him this morning. Is this normal? I am very worried.

#2 ·
Hi. Welcome.

Sounds like he's decided that under the table is his safe space. I'd respect that. If he's under there, leave him. When he growls, praise and reward, and then back off. Teach your kids the same thing. Dog growls, back off. If he learns that you'll listen to him when he's uncomfortable, he shouldn't escalate to an aggressive bite.

13 weeks is young for aggression, but if he's learned that his subtler signs haven't been understood (in his view, ignored) then I'd err on the side of caution.

In the longer term, obviously a coffee table isn't going to be an ideal safe place as he grows, so maybe find an alternative somewhere - a crate would be ideal. Nice comfy bed, his water bowl, some toys, a cover or blanket thrown over the top and down the sides to make it den-like. He gets chews and stuffed Kong or similar in there, door open, kids taught to leave well alone.

#6 ·
The only thing I'd clarify is that in this situation the puppy has something he shouldn't have. This could be something potentially dangerous. Being able to get that object away from the puppy safely is important. The puppy should not be grabbed at and chased, etc. He goes under the table to stop that behavior. He growls to say "stop leave me be". You need to teach your kids that chasing and grabbing at the puppy is inappropriate. That if the pupoy has something they want (or he shouldn't have) that there are appropriate ways to get it.

Reactions: LMMB
#3 ·
I wondered if he might be starting what is called ”resource guarding”.

To a dog, it is a very normal, natural and important behaviour to try to keep what they have. Instinct kicks in; a wild animal's survival depends on it.

Start with management - nothing within his reach that you don't want him to have.

Then, if he has something he shouldn't have, first do a risk assessment - will it harm him to keep it? For example, last week my dog, who never has bothered about balls in his life, found half of one. Another dog was nearby, so no way was he leaving it. He carried it all the way round the walk and all the way home. That is unheard of. But if I'd tried to take his precious treasure, it would have seriously dented his trust in me. There was no harm in letting him just have it.

Next, if you do have to take something from him, always trade for something better. And, teach a good ”leave it” (don't pick it up) and ”drop it” (let it go if you already have picked it up).

These videos will help.

We also have more info on RG here -

#4 ·
Since you have children, including a five-year-old, I think you'll find this thread useful. It contains many helpful videos and resources:

I very recently came across the profile of a Golden Retriever that had been surrendered to the local animal shelter because it had bitten a small child's face. However, the bite was not unprovoked. The child had tried to hug the dog from behind while it was eating.

As LMMB explained, your puppy needs a "safe" place, and your children need to respect it. However, the coffee table or the dining room table cannot be your puppy's go-to place. Establish an open crate as your puppy's place to retreat.

You may want to consider bringing a trainer to your home to help you and your family better engage with your puppy and teach desirable behaviors. Make sure that you look for a trainer that uses positive reinforcement techniques. (Don't hire a trainer who talks about pack leadership or dominance.)

#5 ·
I agree with the above. I also think it's important that he (and the kids) learn sharing. Unfortunately small kids,and puppies like the same type of toys and this can become a battleground of "mine!"

For that, the first rule is ONLY the adults take something away from the puppy. Doesn't matter what puppy has, the kids do not try to take it from him.

For the adults only, start teaching him "let me see it". When he has a toy, reach over gently and just grip the toy. Do not pull, do not try to pry his mouth off it. Just hold on it and say "let me see it". At first he'll try to play tug - don't play along but don't let go of the toy. When he releases the toy (usually to get a better grip on it) softly move the toy towards you and make a fuss over it. Show a major interest in it. As long as he jumps or tries to grab it, keep holding it and showing interest. As soon as he sits, give it back and praise him.

Whenever he wants a toy or food or treat, have him sit for it. When he wants something and sits, he gets it.

This all teaches him that sharing his toy doesn't mean giving it up. As he gets good at that, interperse a "no more" - say "no more" and put the toy away. This teaches him that sometimes he can't it back.

You'll see him catch on quickly to this. He'll happily give you his toy and he'll immediately sit to tell you he wants it back. It stops the chasing game for your shoe or the kid's favorite toy. And it makes his toys even better because YOU like it too.

Once he has learned this with the adults, you can start bringing the kids into the training. Have them sit by you and take the toy saying "let me see it". Make sure they stay calm. When he sits, have them give it back to him. This will teach him that they are to be listened to, but will also teach them that chasing and grabbing the toy (or whatever) is not appropriate.

And sitting to get his toys food or treats means he won't be jumping on the kids knocking them over to get what they have.

#7 ·
For the adults only, start teaching him "let me see it". When he has a toy, reach over gently and just grip the toy. Do not pull, do not try to pry his mouth off it. Just hold on it and say "let me see it". At first he'll try to play tug - don't play along but don't let go of the toy. When he releases the toy (usually to get a better grip on it) softly move the toy towards you and make a fuss over it. Show a major interest in it. As long as he jumps or tries to grab it, keep holding it and showing interest. As soon as he sits, give it back and praise him.
I do this slightly differently, by giving the dog a nice little treat as soon as they let go of the item, and then I do the same as above. The lovely thing about this approach, which I use with different words......but I really like "let me see it".., is that it is a win-win situation for the dog. Dog gets treat AND dog gets the object back again. I see this as being maybe even better than getting the object back on its own, although I can see that working just fine as well.
Eventually of course the treat is no longer is necessary. I just like to use it at the start. My dogs are all trained to let go of what they have if I ask them to, although depending on the item it may not be instantaneous. :)

#8 ·
Using treats would work fine. I agree it gives them a bigger incentive and reward. I just tend not to treat train (nothing against it, I just don't do it).

I used "let me see it" as a way to differentiate between "leave it" or "give it to me". The latter I start using after they learn "let me see it". I use it specifically for dangerous objects that there is no chance in heck they are getting back. Whereas "let me see it" means I am checking the item.

Reactions: Madra Anamchara
#9 ·
Good idea. I think I will use that next time. My dogs now only know "leave it" (don't pick it up at all or put it down right now) and "give", used when I want them to give me the toy or chew or whatever, but there is no urgency. I like incorporating a third level.
I might use "let me see it" to mean that I want to see what it is, but the dog might get it back. Once the basics are trained it is always fun and often useful to add variations for different circumstances.

It's so lovely when I develop a trusting bond with the dog, who then tends to assume that even if it's not understood in the moment, doing what I want always pays off in one way or another. I love that.

#10 ·
These are all great suggestions and we will have a talk with the kids and also implement some of these training techniques. We have 3 young kids and they do chase him when he has something which I’m sure does not help. It’s hard having a puppy and kids. We have been really good about keeping their stuff away from him but they are kids and sometimes a sock, toy or marker. Etc get left on the ground and he will take ANYTHING if it’s on the floor.

#11 ·
If it helps, think of the puppy like a young toddler, and you know what that is like. You have to toddler-proof the house thoroughly and still watch the baby to make sure they don't get into something dangerous. A puppy is the same way.
It must be very hard to raise a puppy with three small kids. But take heart.....the puppy stage lasts less time than it takes for a toddler to grow into a responsible child! :)

#14 ·
I can tell you from my own experience after 25 years of different dog ownership. Golden puppies can be a royal PIA, and even worse teenagers!
Mine is now 2 years old and is finally settling down. She was a landshark and I bled a lot, but now she is a gentle dog..(with me, but not my other dogs)
I had remorse for quite some time since I didn't know what I had gotten into, despite all the reading that I had done.
I have owned Beagles, a Border Collie and a few mixes and the Golden is a totally different animal.

And then she grew, and grew, and grew..LOL

#19 ·
I have heard from more than 1 person that golden puppies are quite the handful. I was only thinking of how they are as adult dogs as the many I have been around have all been great family dogs. Just keep telling myself it will get easier one day lol
Just wondering why you would not groom down a double coat as we have a neighbor who basically shaves theirs. Not shave but his coat looks similar to your picture. Maybe a little shorter even.

#22 · (Edited)
I have heard from more than 1 person that golden puppies are quite the handful. I was only thinking of how they are as adult dogs as the many I have been around have all been great family dogs. Just keep telling myself it will get easier one day lol
Just wondering why you would not groom down a double coat as we have a neighbor who basically shaves theirs. Not shave but his coat looks similar to your picture. Maybe a little shorter even.
Mine was more than a handful before she learned manners. Those puppy vampire teeth HURT!
As I said, she has become a wonderful dog and I am happy to own her.
It can work the other way as well. My Border Collie/Lab cross was a wonderful puppy, but became a horrible teen.

With double coated dogs, you should remove the undercoat with a rake or undercoat brush. Never shave them as that damages the outer guard hairs and many times the coat will never grow back to what it was, and more of the puffy undercoat comes through to the surface. The temperatures here will get above 100d F in the summer, and I will clip off some under belly hair so she is comfortable. The Mini Aussie gets a "stripe" shaved on his belly so he too is more comfy in the heat.
Like most Goldens, she loves the water and I got her a small pool to play in.
(which she destroyed.. :ROFLMAO: )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.