Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am currently fostering 2 kelpie x staffy pups, and theyre great - this question is about a different puppy though. Yesterday I took them to the house of another carer who has some of their brothers and sisters, and a few other pups too (there are probably around 7 pups there in total). Boomer is one of my pups, who is naturally fairly submissive. Not timid, but also not one to win play fights very often.

About 10 minutes after we got there, one of the other pups (an amstaff, approx 10 weeks old) just grabbed Boomer by the back of the neck, pinned him down, and WOULD NOT let go. She managed to draw blood before we got them apart. I am just amazed that a pup that young could be so seemingly aggressive?? It was definitely not play - and to be honest, I would find it hard to believe if I hadnt actually seen it happen.

The other pup has been living with all the other pups, and although she has been very dominant, apparently this is the first time shes properly attacked another pup. I actually am finding it very hard to use the words aggressive and attacked, because it just doesnt seem normal for such a young pup!

One of the other carers has taken her now, as she only has large older dogs, who the pup seems to be fine with....

Does anyone have any theories that might explain this behaviour? Do you think it could have been that Boomer was seen as weak because he is quite submissive??

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Honestly, sounds a lot like Chisum when I first brought him home at ~8 weeks.

I never thought puppies could be aggressive either, and yet, he was. I think he was just really insecure and overcompensating. He STILL does this from time to time, but he's gotten much better about it, at least with dogs he knows. He doesn't see many dogs he doesn't know because he's still scared to death of people...but we passed a dog in a yard yesterday that barked at him and he just whimpered a bit.

If I were in charge of that pup I'd definitely get to a behaviorist ASAP.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts