Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dog had a litter of puppies 6 weeks ago, one of them, his name is Prince, rolled in urine today so I gave him a bath. He is nice and clean and he was happy until I tried to put him back in with the other puppies. There is a female puppy, her name is Scruffy. Once I put him in, the other puppies were alright with him, nice and happy, but Scruffy was very aggressive. Scruffy has hurt him before in the past, but they were playing and it turned into something more aggressive. This time, they were not playing. Scruffy went up to him and latched onto his face. I had to stick my fingers into her mouth to pry her jaw off him, which resulted in me getting cuts on my fingers. I scolded her so that she knew what she did was wrong, and then I waited an hour and tried to introduce him back in again, she did it again, but this time she hurt his face. He has a small cut above his eye, it isn't bleeding and I cleaned it. Is Scruffy being aggressive because of the way Prince smells now? Should I wait a day or two before putting Prince back in with them? I'm not sure what to do, please help as soon as possible, it would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I don't think her latching onto his face three times and ripping her head around fast and aggressively to the point that he is injured is just part of the socialization process. It is obvious aggression.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I think I'm going to refer to @LoveMyFosters for this one, she has a lot of experience raising puppies.
In the mean time I would deffinitly make sure you supervise there intereactions. Its hard to really keep them separate since this is important socialization time to be spent with sibling and mom. I don't know to much about raising puppies or any puppy behavioral issues though. Hopefully Lovemyfosters will have an idea.

Reactions: Aspen726

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
First off, What breed are these pups? Where are they kept and how big is their area? Does she seem to play roughly in general or just with him? What exactly do you mean by, "Latching onto his face"? Is she still acting aggressive toward him?

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the late response. They are mutts, they are a mix of chihuahua, poodle, jack russel, shizhu and cocker spaniel.
They are kept in our living room and their area is very large, it takes up half of the floor. She doesn't play roughly with the others. We were trying to get him back into the group and it didn't work, they all attacked him. It seems like they are rejecting him, so we are letting him socialize with our adult dogs so he doesn't get lonely, we're considering keeping him when his siblings are given away. By latching onto his face I mean she bites him VERY hard and starts to whip around her head really fast, her teeth pierce his skin, the only way you can get her off is by prying open her mouth. The other puppies did this to him as well. He pretty much screams when it happens, I've kept him away from them since. I don't want to risk him being hurt again. @LoveMyFosters

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also I have seen them play, they play bite, but they don't latch onto each other and shake their heads around very fast. They don't let out the cries of pain that Prince does either. They are actually trying to hurt him and I don't understand why. The mother was concerned about Prince every time it happened, and rushed to his side. He sleeps with his mother in my bedroom now that he cannot be with his siblings, and he tends to stay by my side now as well.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Have you tried introducing him back to the other puppies one by one, then maybe in groups of two?

I don't recommend scolding her, it may backfire on you and could make her dislike Prince even more. Remember she's pretty much the age of a 1 1/2 year old infant right now,

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Remove the problem child from the situation for a while.

A friend is fostering 2 husky crosses at the moment, male and female. She attacks him, makes him squeal something awful - goes for the face or ears.

Let her spend some time outside the pack - when you catch her doing it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have tried introducing him separately, three of them attacked him immediately (I was able to pull him away before he was injured) and the other two just didn't seem interested in him.
I cannot remove the problem child because the entire group of puppies don't want anything to do with him. I'm just keeping him with me and his mother and my other dogs (The other dogs seem to like him, my dogs are all small breeds and they're older (except for the mother and father), so they're really chill with everything.) for now, I've decided that I'm going to keep him when the other puppies find new homes, but I still want to know what caused this sudden aggression toward him.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
@haylay: So they would attack him somewhat even before he got a bath? Sudden aggression of that kind isn't normal for a puppy. Would it be possible for you to share a video of this happening? It would help me a lot to see it for myself.

Is he smaller than the others?

Reactions: Rain

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't have a video and I really don't want to put him with the other puppies because I don't want them hurting him again.
He's larger than the other puppies, but he doesn't fight back then they attack him, he just lets out a loud, screaming whine and tries to get away.

·
Registered
917 Posts
You could always try bathing all the puppies, then put the one being picked on back into their area first with mom. Give him some time then add one puppy at a time back in. Or after bathing everyone, just put them all back in together. The second option may work better. I've used this method many times for mixing litters of rats pups. Different animals, I know but it may work. All the puppies will smell the same and they will all be shook up about the bath. Putting them all back in at once will make it so they don't have a particular puppy to target.

Reactions: LoveMyFosters

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I don't have a video and I really don't want to put him with the other puppies because I don't want them hurting him again.
He's larger than the other puppies, but he doesn't fight back then they attack him, he just lets out a loud, screaming whine and tries to get away.
Like annageckos idea. I had a litter of pups with one like that, his siblings would always pick him as the one to chew on and even when they were trying to play he would try to get away and would scream even though they weren't actually hurting him. It took him a little while, but he did come around and learn to love being with his siblings, he had to learn to fight back, (though it was all in good fun, they were only playing, he was just overreacting to the situation) and once he did they left him alone. I know you're situation is different, but I do understand your problem. Some puppies are natural targets for the others because their personality makes them the low one in the pack order. If the bath for everyone idea doesn't work, then you will probably just have to keep him away from his siblings and socialize him extremely well with other dogs. The bad thing about taking him away from his siblings at this age is he won't learn bite inhibition well so you are going to have to focus heavily on that fact if he can't be with his siblings.

Reactions: haylay
1 - 15 of 15 Posts