Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have had experience with several dogs however I just got 3 new puppies! One is a 12 week old Morkie, the other is a 11 weeks old West Highland Terrier, and the third one is a 9 week old Goldendoodle. The 2 small ones- Morkie and Westi get along fine, however when we mix in the Goldendoodle there seems to be some issues. The Morkie and Goldendoodle do well together however sometimes the Morkie will growl and get mad at the Goldendoodle because he is so big and sometimes plays way too roughy for the little guy by biting his ear and tail. As for the Westi and Goldendoodle things get worse- they are good then suddenly one starts growling and they have actually got into a fight and started biting one another, so we had to separate them. Sometimes the Westi will growl at him for no apparent reason but they will lay by each other and let me pet them and be just fine; but when they play or are unsupervised they get very aggressive. My boyfriend and I have tried so many things from treats to slowly getting them together but nothing has worked so far. If anyone has some advice or experience with puppy aggression that would be great. I really want them to just get along, if not we might have to give away the Westi and I really don’t want to do that.

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Three puppies at one time is quite ambitious. Puppyhood and adolescence are messy, awkward times and there is a lot going on here. I highly recommend you find a trainer who can evaluate your dogs in person and work with all of you hands on. I know that's not very helpful but I hesitate to give too much advice in such a complex situation.

I can recommend that you do not allow the opportunity for any more negative interactions. I know this is a pain but it's pretty crucial. If they practice getting nasty with each other now there is good reason to believe that will continue into adulthood and become dangerous. Until they have all matured, I strongly suggest that all of their interactions are controlled, brief and pleasant for everyone.
  • Controlled
    • The puppies should all be kept separate with baby gates, pens, etc. This will ensure there are no opportunities for bad interactions. You might think you can just manage them yourself but don't kid yourself. Squabbles (or worse) happen incredibly fast. Fun fact: A dog can bite your hand 3 or more times before you can pull it away.
  • Brief
    • Learning occurs more easily over several short sessions rather than a single long one.
  • Pleasant
    • While the dogs are all together give everyone something fun to do. You could do a training session which not only teaches behaviors but also how to be patient when it's someone else's turn. Or you could give them extra special treats like raw bones, bully sticks, food stuffed toy (lots of recipes online) that they ONLY get when they are together. Time with each other = our favorite time. Interestingly, engaging a dog's brain with a training session will wear them out more than physical activity. You could also play calming music during these sessions. But the must be separate because incidents are more likely to occur around high value treats.
Best of luck and let me know if you have any questions!

Diane Zahorodny

1 - 3 of 3 Posts