Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my dog has usually been good around me but I’ve been away at college and now I am home for the summer. Its been 3 days and my dog has consistently been trying to hump me and gets aggressive when I try to push him away. It’s NONSTOP. Then, when I ignore him he pulls at the sleeves on my shirts or takes my shoes and runs away with it. I’m not sure if this is him being overexcited or if he wants to play or what. I’ve been squirting him with a water bottle which stops him temporarily. But then he just barks at me and follows me around. How do i stop it ? What is this behavior?

·
Super Moderator
1,649 Posts
It possibly is excitement at seeing you or it might be a little bit of anxietyat the changed dynamic in the house. But please don't squirt water at him, it will either excite him more, or it might make him even more anxious. On this forum, we recommend avoiding aversive tools.

One of the best ways to stop any behaviour is to teach an alternative and incompatible behaviour like a sit. He can't sit and jump at the same time.

You night notice he does it at particular times, like if he is tired. So if you can, prevention is better.

Or you could redirect him on to something else like a special cushion - have a read of this article.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts