Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
My girlfriend have a french bulldog that she spoiled her when she was young and now the dog have bad behaviors..

I'll give some examples for what she does:
* If she's on the bad and we want her to go down she might bite.

* Sometimes she have "bad moods" lets say and she shows teeth and might bite.

* She cries when we eat because she wants us to give her from our food.

* She attacks pretty much every dog that isn't a bulldog, I don't know if it's to "protect" us or that she's jealous of other dogs, because if we give attention to other dogs when she's around she will attack that dog and if we try to stop her she even attack us.. and my girlfriend's solution is to not to touch dogs when she's around and it's very hard for me because I really love dogs..and also I'm sure that's not the solution.

* She barks when someone knocks or enter the apartment, and jump on people, most people don't mind, but I think it's not a correct behavior, correct me if I'm wrong.

* She almost never listen when we tell her to stop something, if it's barking, crying for food, jumping on people, attack dogs (and sometimes people)

that's all I can think of right now,
also she bit me, her, and a friend a few times..

Now I think that she learned two ways to communicate:
1. If she doesn't like something, she bites.
2. If she wants something, she cries.

I want to educate her so she won't be aggressive like that but I don't know what to do when she's aggressive and I couldn't find anything concrete online..
Do I ignore her?
Should I be "aggressive" back? (like talking louder, maybe try to take her by the collar and try to do something? I don't know really..)
Should I use a toy she likes to "snap her out" of the aggressive mode?

Hope someone can help..
Thank you very much in advance :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Honestly, it just seems like the dog has been allowed to rule the house and you're at the point where I think you need guidance to properly change her behavior. Find a good trainer in your area to help you learn the correct way to fix this. You don't want to act 'aggressive' back. Imagine if a child was screaming, throwing a tantrum. They're doing this because they're immature and don't know any better. You don't teach by being just as immature and scream back, you teach by being calm and patient and teaching them how they SHOULD act. This dog doesn't know better because no one has taught her. It's not her fault and you can't think of it like that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I thought the only way right now is to get someone to train her to behave better..

Are there any tips to handle it in the mean time? :)

·
Registered
893 Posts
Try NILF. Have her work for everything. With the bed, lure her down with a high value treat and not allow her on the bed anymore. She may be resource guarding either the bed or your girlfriend. Would you be able to have her in a different room when you eat?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yeah I thought the only way right now is to get someone to train her to behave better..

Are there any tips to handle it in the mean time? :)
You don't want someone else to train her, you need a trainer to work with YOU to teach YOU how to teach her.

In the meantime, you can teach "Place" for when you're eating. It teaches her to stay put on her designated spot. Using a command, you can give her treats and praise for calmly staying on her place. She is not to leave the place until released (usually people use "free" or "okay" to release the dog). For my dog, I use his bed to practice "place". This is also helpful when someone's at the door, you can tell them to go to their place and stay while you deal with other things.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
You really need to figure out why she's acting aggressively before dealing with the aggression. Sure you can cow her into submission but that does not fix why she acts like that and it does not teach her how to behave, all it does is creates a ticking time bomb that will one day truly attack. I recommend that y'all hire a behaviorist, one that ONLY uses positive reinforcement, to help y'all work with her. If the person starts using terms like getting her to submit, her believing she's alpha, or does things like Alpha rolls and hand bites, then RUN and take the dog with you.

Whining for food is because it's worked, it gets her or has gotten her, what she wants, that's how dogs work. Never give her food when she's whining. You can deal with it a few ways, the first is to keep some stuffed, frozen, Kongs on hand and when y'all eat put her in another room with the Kong, you can feed her her meals like that if you like, just be sure to mix the kibble with a binder so that it freezes. Freezing it makes it last longer. You can also remove her from the room every time she whines and only let her stay when she's crying. You may end up with her really pitching a fit if you try that but the thing to do is wait it out and only let her back in the room when she's been quiet for 5 seconds. Do NOT give in to the noise or you teach her that making noise works she just has to do so long enough. To really drill home the message reward her when she's quiet, give her a taste of that food she wants.

If you do not want her jumping on company you can teach her to sit to get attention. Completely ignore the jumping (make sure your guest do so) and when she sits, or is not jumping, then give her the attention she wants. You can also teach her to go to a mat.

She doesn't listen when you tell her something because she does not know what you want. Try teaching her what to do, not what not to do. By doing that the bad behavior will slowly stop. For jumping teach her to sit. For barking it depends on why she's barking, figure it out and work to teach her something different, like for barking at stuff outside teach her quiet, for whining for food teach her that being quiet gets her food not barking. Aggression towards dogs and people is a bit trickier and depends on why she's being aggressive, is she afraid (that's why my boy is aggressive), is she resource guarding, is she defensive. As I wrote above, your best bet will be hiring a behaviorist to help you figure out the reason and come up with a training plan. For the fear aggression I'm teaching my boy that the scary things, like people and large dogs, are actually good and get me to feed him really yummy treats.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those are great tips, thanks!
finally I can have some concrete actions to do :)

The barking thing is mostly because someone is at the door, or dogs are barking, I don't really know how to make her not to bark at that time..
because if I wait she keeps barking and also someone is waiting at the door..

For the food thing I do exactly that and since I did that she's not crying when I eat but when my girlfriend eats she cries, it's mostly because she give in to the crying, I'm working on teaching my girlfriend that too ^^"

For the biting thing, she doesn't bite me, but my girlfriend..
if it's possible I would like to know how can I give positive reinforcement when she's being aggressive, because I thought it's bad to give treats when she's doing something bad, or behaving bad, like trying to attack a dog or a person.

Again, thanks for those tips :)
I wish there was a good resource for this ^^

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.