Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our new dog managed find himself a very small amount of dark chocolate and milk chocolate that is basically filled with sugar paste. We looked in this website http://www.askavetquestion.com/chocolate_toxicity.php and with his weight it means there would be absolutely 0 symptoms or risk to the dog.

Unfortunately he has been supera hyper , looking for food everywhere and when he was looking I went to pull him down by the collar. He imidiatly started growling and barking at me in a very aggressive way. I have to say that this is a rescue dog that is with us for a week. We have been told that he was very sweet and used to small children.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Considering the circumstances I would guess that the dog does not trust you yet. Comming from a shelter can mean that he has been abused before. Dominance-based training is causing fear in some dogs aswell. So by pulling him by the collar, the dog most likely felt threatened and warned you to back of. It could be ressource guarding as well. It is hard to tell without watching it.
Please do not forbid the growling. It is no aggression, it is a way of communicating. If a dog is not allowed to growl, he has lost his last way to warn you and will bite 'without reason'.
If you see your dog eating something that he should not, try to offer him something to trade. Give him a treat in exchange for the chocolate. If he is looking for food outsite aswell, I would probably use a muzzle considering the dangers of rat poison. Some lunatics are dropping poisoned baits from time to time, at least in my country

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We didn't stop him barking, I pulled him down as there was no food there and he wasn't listening when I called him to stop. According to the background I have about him he was abandoned from a couple that separated and afterwards went to a foster family with small children directly. They guaranteed that he was not abused and was a very calm dog. I guess people can lie... I will look into adult dog training sessions.

Thanks for your reply :)

Considering the circumstances I would guess that the dog does not trust you yet. Comming from a shelter can mean that he has been abused before. Dominance-based training is causing fear in some dogs aswell. So by pulling him by the collar, the dog most likely felt threatened and warned you to back of. It could be ressource guarding as well. It is hard to tell without watching it.
Please do not forbid the growling. It is no aggression, it is a way of communicating. If a dog is not allowed to growl, he has lost his last way to warn you and will bite 'without reason'.
If you see your dog eating something that he should not, try to offer him something to trade. Give him a treat in exchange for the chocolate. If he is looking for food outsite aswell, I would probably use a muzzle considering the dangers of rat poison. Some lunatics are dropping poisoned baits from time to time, at least in my country

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
He may not have had enough chocolate to do great harm, but probably enough to make him hyper, and feel crappy. Given that scenario, and since you have only had him for a week, give him time and space, to calm down, and don't make any lasting judgments about him, until he has settled into your home, and you all get to know and trust each other.

·
Banned
40 Posts
I second Laco's opinion. Appears that the chocolate stimulated the dog and this probably was an atypical reaction.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts