Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I am Ash and new to the forum. I am really worried I have 3 dogs one of which is really worrying me.
Molly is a cross staffy and english bull terrier. I rescued her when she was about 18months old, she is now 4. she gets on with my other 2 dogs but never really liked any other dogs, but she would at least tolerate them. in the last 2 months though she has bitten 2 dogs, the first one came up to her when she was on the lead and she grabbed its face, it was a little patterdale terrier and she would just not let go i didnt know what to do i was shouting at her I cut myself trying to get her jaws apart but just couldnt do it it took about 15 mins for her to loose her grip, and she did only loose her grip she didnt intentionally let go. today she has just done the same thing to my mums young little dog.

It is really concerning me more so because I have a 5 week old baby. I would never dream of letting the dogs near her unsupervised but we are all human and the thought of it makes me sick.

overall Molly is a lovely dog and has never shown any aggression what so ever towards humans or younger kids (other than 1 male vet) and she is so lovely, but I do not know what to do as I have never rehomed a dog, and I have had them all of my life but I am so concerned now for my baby daughter, and I dont know if it is anythhing from her past that has made her like this.

any advice would be much appreciated.

like I said she really is lovely but I am soo worried.

sorry for the long post first time around.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Welcome, Ash! I'm so sorry you're having such problems. It would scare me to death to have that going on and have a 5 week old baby.

I have no answers but there are several here that are very good trainers and they will.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

bully breeds have been selectively bred NOT to have human aggression. You can have a dog that wants to tear dogs apart, but would never harm a human...this is because when dogs are fought in the pit, they are actually handled ALOT by people during the fight...so only the most tolerant dogs were bred.

I wouldn't blame your dog for biting that other dog...its a sad lesson, but you've learned it now...was the other dog a stray? You need to run off any strays and tell other owners to keep their distance...since your dog was on leash, she felt trapped and defended herself.

You might also want to purchase a breakstick just in case this happens again. :)

that said, som'dog do become confused when a new baby arrives...they simply don't know what it is, and som' dogs mistake the baby for a dying animal, or others (namely huskies) will pick up the infant and bring it to their owners, often accidently killing the baby in the process.

So anyway, i only think you baby is at risk if you do som'thing completely irresponsible and stupid, like leaving them alone together.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
DItto-your baby is not in any more danger then any other kid with any other dog-NEVER leave ANY dog with ANY child ;)

Bottom line you have a dog who has bit dogs, and was out of control.

You NEED to get the dog to a professional trainer to deal with this...If your dog hurts someone's pet or someone you could be on the hook for a lot more then guilt-medical bill$ as well as having the chance that someone could order you to put her to sleep (If people are bit by a dog they have that right-they just say they want the dog tested for rabies-it's done post mortem).

Lemmie say that again You NEED to get the dog to a professional trainer to deal with this!!!

Just phone around, get some recommendations (or go online!) and find a good trainer who is experienced with dogs with aggressive behavior. Start there.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
i'm just going to echo what's been said here...consult a professional trainer....preferably someone who uses positive reinforcement and has dealt with these types of issues before

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts