Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I am new here and I apologize in advance because this is going to be long. I am having to decide what the best option for my furbaby is due to aggression. He will only be 4 this October and this is completely breaking every inch of my heart and I am so torn. I have had him since I adopted him from my local shelter when he was approx 12 weeks old. He has been my best and only friend at times and this is something I am having a tremendously difficult time with. He has always been aggressive towards new dogs when he meets them. He was NEVER aggressive towards humans until my ex came at me during a very difficult time which ultimately led to us getting a divorce. After that, I noticed aggression towards people while walking at the park ... which is something we had done almost daily since I adopted him. He always loved other people and loved the attention until that incident with my ex. I had to stop taking him to the park because I was fearful of him becoming more aggressive towards people. After a year and a half I got into a new relationship. When he was first introduced to my new boyfriend and his teen children he did fine. He loves them and has never been aggressive towards them. We ended up moving in with them and their old lab mix. At first he was aggressive to their dog, but after about 5 minutes of slowly introducing they were fine. But as always, he plays rough. Since moving there, he has bitten a neighbor's dog and was growling at the people and their children. He has bitten an Amazon delivery driver with no indication at all... no warning. He obviously now stays in a fenced area or in the house, or is on a leash at all times if out of either. My now fiance owns his own business and has materials delivered daily from suppliers, the kids have friends in and out, we have neighbors that just show up without notice so this is is a necessity. We also have a 1 year old grandbaby that is around and he has always been great with him, but recently snapped at him while my daughter was keeping him for us while we were out of town. I made the decision to try to rehome him. I posted him on 2 online adoption sites as well as my facebook page. I was 100% honest about him and his temperament. I had a family want to meet him. I explained to them that they have to be slow to introduce themselves and reiterated that he has been aggressive. All went well until the 7 year old daughter tried to pet his nose and I felt him tense up.... I snatched him back right as he lunged and snapped at her hand. This family still wanted to try again. After a while they wanted to try to pet him again and he growled at the 10 year old daughter as well as the gentleman. They still wanted him but I refused and thanked them for their time and interest but I could not live with myself if he hurt one of those children. I am now uneasy about him being around the grandbaby or anyone that he isn't around on a daily basis honestly. There is NO warning at all. No barking, no growling he just snaps. Then, he continues on with whatever he was doing like nothing happened. I've reached out to his vet, to rescues and humane societies and none are willing to take him in. It is coming down to looking like my only options are surrendering him to the shelter or requesting his vet put him to sleep without the trauma of going to the shelter that will likely put him down immediately.
Can anyone PLEASE PLEASE offer advice or opinions?? Everyone I speak to gives a different opinion and I am so confused and just need some non biased guidance here

·
Super Moderator
1,631 Posts
I'm sorry you are in this situation but a dog that has bitten in the past is far more likely to bite again than a dog who has never bitten before.

Has your vet checked him for pain?

Have you considered a behaviourist who van see first hand what he is like? If that is a route you are going to take, please please choose someone who uses force free, reward based techniques. Anyone who speaks about dominance, alpha and pack behaviour is out of date and will make this worse, not better.

In the meantime you might want to consider training him to wear a muzzle. That won't fix the problem but will at least keep people safe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for reaching out. I have emailed a local behaviorist and waiting on reply. I know that other trainers I've contacted have been far more than I can afford unfortunately. I am now just very concerned because he has become very aggressive in his fenced area as well..... adults obviously know to not mess with him but I am concerned about kids (such as my friend's children that have grown up with him and are not afraid of him at all) that may only see the cute doggy and God forbid stick their hand in the fence to try to pet him. Of course I will be sure to tell friends with small children to make sure they do not mess with him but at this point it's a huge liability for us as far as the safety of guests. We would be devastated if he hurt anyone. The Amazon driver luckily only received a very small scratch but it did open the skin and had he not been walking away it could have very well been far worse. The driver was not even in the vicinity of my dog and had turned to walk back to his truck when my pup just darted and snapped at his leg without warning of any kind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im sorry i dont know what advice to give. Im so angry at your ex for causing this.
Thank you for that, I am too!! It was a really nasty situation and I know that my furbaby is just being protective, but at the same time I am also very aware that it's getting worse and puts others at risk.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts