Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I have a 5 month old Border Collie bitch. She is absolutely good as gold for 90% of the time doing all the usual puppy things. But just recently she has started to become really aggressive towards me and my boyfriend and acting strange on her walks. When we walk her she will be fine up until a certain point where she will start jumping up trying to grab the lead, biting hands and growling. It's impossible to walk her like this. She has also started to bite us when she doesn't get her own way and it seems as though she really means it, she snarls and growls really viciously. We end up having to pin her down , like the mum would do, or put her in another room until she has calmed down. PLEASE HELP! Is it something we are doing wrong, is this normal for a BC pup or is it her with the problems. Bearing in mind we have stopped playfighting with her and are now trying to get her to sleep downstairs incase this is a dominance issue. Any comments will be helpful, thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have been told by the lady at our puppy classes that this is what we should do. She has 25 years experience so we trust what she says.
We both try to stay calm , and also use a deep gruff voice to say "off". But when she is in this state of mind she will not respond to anything. The only solution at the moment is to remove her from the room but we want her to stop this behaviour altogether!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Firstly , stop pinning her ... only ever work a dog using praise and reward techniques , you get faster results and a dog that is obeying you because they want to , not because they are scared not to do as they are told (think how'd you'd feel if someone come up and pinned you to the floor cos you didnt do as they said , you'd be scared or angry and rightly so)

when she jumps at you , cross your arms & turn away from her , the second she stops jumping , give her lots of praise , but using a calm , quiet soft voice & gentle pats ... you dont want her all excited again ... and dont remove her from the room ... remove yourself , dont say a word, just get up and walk out , close the door and leave her for a minute , then go back in ...if she does the same , you leave the room again
No dog likes being alone , it wont take long for an intelligent girl like you have to realise behaving means company

On a walk , carry the lead behind your body instead of across your front , arms loosely at your sides as normal ... the dog should be walking a step behind you ...if she starts trying to jump up block her with your legs and body , put her into a sit and dont move until she does as asked ... keep doing this whenever she shows any unwanted behaviour (pulling , lead biting etc)
It may mean your walks dont get very far to start with , and you may feel a right idiot stopping every couple of steps and waiting til she calms down but this is very effective if done right :)

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
She has 25 years experience so we trust what she says.
then why are you here asking for help? If you are going to disreguard our advice why bother? Whats your trainers solution for this then?

Pinning her is terrifiying her and making her not trust you. Stop doing it.

secondly your dog is a puppy, and is acting normal for a bored understimulated puppy. Especially a border collie. She is not trying to dominate you. She is a baby.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! *waves*

We have been told by the lady at our puppy classes that this is what we should do. She has 25 years experience so we trust what she says.

But it's not working right? That usually means it's time to try something else. :)

I can definitely see why you'd want to listen to such an experienced trainer, but what she's telling you to do isn't working, and honestly it's really been shown to be counter productive :) Not good for your bond with your dog either :)

Crio and Mese have given some WONDERFUL training advice :) I won't add to it :)

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
We both try to stay calm , and also use a deep gruff voice to say "off". But when she is in this state of mind she will not respond to anything. The only solution at the moment is to remove her from the room but we want her to stop this behaviour altogether!
sounds to me like this advice isn't working...or you wouldn't be here...right? (welcome to the forum btw!)

well if it isn't working you have two choices, you can either escalate your correction or you can try something else...rule of thumb for corrections-if it doesn't work after 2-3 times, it won't ever work...stop doing it...

i'd look up a technique called "nothing in life is free" training. the dog has to earn everything from food to pets by showing good manners before hand. also remember ignore unwanted behaviors and reward the ones you want...this teaches your dog to choose to behave because she wants to be rewarded...

i would also increase mental stimulation and physical activity, your dog sounds like a normal puppy who is bored...border collies are considered one of the most intelligent breeds of dog, they are also bred to do a very mentally and physically demanding job, if you don't have one for her, she is going to have a hard time behaving...

finally, i would recommend a different trainer...just my own personal opinion...

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts