Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fiancé and I got our Rottweiler from a breeder when she was 8 weeks old (she is 7 months now) and she has always been a little bit sassy and definitely a confident dog, but nothing even close to what she’s been doing lately. Every time you try to grab her by the collar, move her in any way, pick her up, gently pull her paws to lay down, pet her when she’s tired or around people, really any kind of touching, she aggressively growls, snaps, and tries to bite you HARD. It’s major signs of aggressions. She’s been doing this to everybody, including both myself and my fiancé. We did private training with her and continued it one on one at home and it didn’t help whatsoever. We’re starting to explore the board and train option because it’s become such an issue. Has anybody had similar experiences and, if so, what was the best thing to do in this situation? Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
437 Posts
Hi. Welcome to the forum. :)

Message from your dog: She finds what you're doing to her scary, intimidating and confusing, and so she would love you to stop.

That's what she's trying to tell you when she growls. You ignore it, so what else can she do? She has to escalate and snaps (by the way, if she wanted to bite you - she would - and will. The air snap is a final warning). Simply put, she's learned to be extremely hand shy. The Chihuahua in my avatar is exactly the same, but for entirely different reasons

So. Stop picking her up and stop physically moving her away. Don't pet her, or touch her at all. Not just you, but your fiancé. Warn visitors to completely ignore her, and/or, put her in a room or behind a baby gate with a long lasting chew or a frozen Kong. In short, Hands off the dog (It won't be forever).

Instead, drop treats behind you as you walk past, so that she has to move away from you to get it (creating distance for you both).

Once she starts to look up, expecting the treat, start to drop it beside her as you pass, without throwing it.

When she's ok with that, then you progress to throwing her a treat when you're otherwise minding your own business, sitting watching the TV, on the computer, reading a book. Casually throw the dog a treat.

The collar grab.
Imagine if I came along and suddenly, without warning, grabbed you forcefully by the scruff of your collar. How would you feel? What would you do? Chances are, you'd grab my hand/arm in return and push it away - probably with an angry, "what the heck do you think you're doing?!," am I right? ;)

It's no less intimidating for a dog than it is for a human, and there's no more warning that it's going to happen.

However. There are occasions when, for the dog's own safety (and that is the only time it should be done) you need to grab the collar.

1) Try to out the collar on from below her. This is far less threatening to her than you standing over her and putting on behind her or to he side, where she can only see you in her perephial vision. I've had the same problem with Honey (Chi) who would run to her Safe Place (bed/crate), cower behind the ladders, tail tucked whenever I tried. So now, while she's standing at the top of the stairs (1st floor flat), I descend a couple of stairs, sit down, and clip her collar on in front and below her, followed by a treat. And she's a completely different dog because of it. No more scurrying off to her bed, tail tucked, no more cowering behind the ladders, paw raised. She's like, "OK! I'm ready for my walkies! Let's get this show on the road!" :D

2) And again, I'm doing his with Honey, too. Start by dropping a treat from your hand right in front of her. Let her take it. Tell her she's a good girl.. When she's happy with that, feed her a treat with one hand while gently stroking her around her collar area with the other. When she's happy with that, do the same as before, but tuck he hand gently under the collar - very briefly, and release her. Finally, when she's OK with that, close your fist around her collar.

If, at any point during this, she growls, freezes, raises a paw, or tries to get away, listen to her and go back to the previous step for a few more days.

As for moving her, can you give us a typical situation? I'm assuming this inside, but otherwise, what's going on? Is it from the couch, the bed . . .?

Avoid the board and train options like the plague. You have absolutely no idea what they're doing to her behind those closed doors and away from you, and even if they are using the latest, science based methods, they're not teaching you what you need to do, and more importantly, what you need to look for in terms of your dog trying to communicate with you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts