Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
This is my first post, and the issue that it concerns is a fairly recent one for my pup. I've read some of the stickies and know that it's usually recommended to contact a behaviorist. I've contacted two that I've found in my area both said they don't deal with aggressive dogs [which I've got to say frustrates me, it's easily the one most important issue that a dog owner would need professional help with], but also I thought maybe there would be some advice that I could get from this community. use all the resources right?

so my dog, Ringo, just turned 2. I adopted him as a puppy and my mother got his brother at about 6 months after he was not adopted. When my mom adopted his brother they got along great for the first couple of meeting, as I would I would stay for holidays and such. but when they were about a year old ,one day they just snapped, we were watching tv and they got in a fight and went at it, drawing blood. I stepped in a separated them almost immediately and ever since then they can not be in the same room. really they can't be in the same house, they claw and growl at the door to whatever room the other is in. we've tried to reintroduce them in a variety of ways [parks, on long walks like a coincidental meeting] but they immediately go into like kill mode. this is the only dog Ringo can't get along with, I would chalk it up to the brother but sometimes it seems like Ringo is instigating it.

The other issue is a bit odd and more scary. Ringo sometimes just starts growling at people. this started after he was about 1 1/2, before then he was always friendly. he's never bit anyone but he seems like he's getting pretty close. I've started being very cautious about him being out when I'm gone. so sometimes a new person will come over and he'll be cautious of them and if they make a wrong "dog" move i guess, he'll start growling and then barking at them, i then usually just put him in my room because the other person is scared and I don't want him to actually bite them. and more recently like past 2 months he's started growling at my roommates, these have been roommates since i brought him home as a pup. I came home one time and he was growling at one of my roommates who was standing by the trash, its hard to do the "aggression descriptions" justice but it looks to me that if I let him continue he would surely attack. he ended up just stopping after i called his name, but in every other occurrence I had to physically move him while he is trying with all his might to get back to his attempted assault.

I've written an essay here, but I was trying to capture how "bipolar" the incidences are. It doesn't make sense to me, I mean he's grown up with my roommates and all the evidence has shown that he likes them, a lot, but then just out of nowhere he'll change gears and it'll seem like he's about to try to kill them. this bipolar behavior is similar to the incidences with the guests, but I guess I could understand that better with them being new people that he might just not like, but the attempted attacks on what I thought he considered family worries me. he hasn't ever acted this way towards me, and I've never felt like he might, but its more worrisome to me how quickly and unpredictably hes having these mood changes.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
What breed of dog is Ringo?

When the dogs got into a fight, how was it dealt with. When he gets into one of his moods - how do you deal with it?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Have you ever heard of "Littermate Syndrome" most the time it is used in context of an intense bond between two littermates but it can also refer to intense aggression between littermates.

Have you taken him to the vet to make sure the there isn't a physical reason why his behavior changed?

Until the people agression has been addressed I would consider Muzzle training your pup. https://muzzleupproject.com/
I would have him wear the muzzle in your home when you aren't around to monitor the situation and when out in public.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts