Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an adult hound mix, and an adolescent Catahoula pyrenees mix. The Catahoula pyrenees (buddy) I'd growing into adulthood, he is very well mannered. Other than getting into it over some ice cream once the hound (charley) has gotten along with him fine... Today however they got into an all out fight that I had to break up.. Now Charlie will hardly look at buddy, or get anywhere near him. And if they do get close Charlie immediately starts snarling hairs on end and all... We are currently having to keep them seperated. We have them scheduled to get fixed as they are both currently in tact... I'm looking for other suggestions and experience in how to handle the situation. They were
Always best buds until now

·
Registered
876 Posts
Oh no, how badly were they hurt? :(

Any signs of what they might have been fighting over? A toy, a snack, you?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are both fine. I got bit trying to break it up. They don't have toys, I've gotten them tips before and they are mostly uninterested in them. My brother in laws dog is currently staying with us. Spayed female. But charley is acting aggressive even when she's not around.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I'd continue to keep them separated. Get the book Fight by Jean Donaldson. Keep in mind that many same sex dogs will start to fight when they reach sexual maturity. Neutering may not help but it might.

Sometimes dog fights sound much worse than they are. If the dogs didn't cause any injuries to each other, this may be something you can handle. It's possible some resource guarding was going on. Dogs often consider their owner a resource worth guarding. Since there was one other instance of resource guarding, it's a real possibility.

The third dog could also be a factor whether she's spayed or not. Adding dogs, changes dynamics among all the dogs. If you can, consult a force free trainer who will do an in home consultation.

This might be helpful. http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/resource-guarding-causes-prevention-modification-7511/

http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/finding-trainer-behavior-consultant-behaviorist-113946/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions. This is extremely stressful to deal with. The thought of having to re-home one of them breaks my heart. I'll do everything I can before it comes to that

1 - 6 of 6 Posts