Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a two year old Treeing Walker Coonhound. We recently moved from Florida to Rhode Island and are having some behavioral problems. She has had acts of aggression in the past, but since the move, the aggression is amplified, especially at night. Additionally, she has started exhibiting hyper sexual behavior humping me. We have tried positive reinforcement and have recently tried a spray bottle to stop unwanted behavior, but the dog does not like to be told no. When she gets told that she can't do something, she gets aggressive; growling and showing teeth. We need help. How can we stop this unwanted behavior?

·
Super Moderator
10,735 Posts
What are you telling her to do that she's being aggressive about? If we know it'll give us a better idea of what's going on and how best to advise you.

The humping is not sexual, it's likely because she's over aroused (not sexual arousal!), over excited, or anxious. I'd be leaving her alone every time, without exception, that she humped me. She humped I'd get up and leave the room, closing the door behind me, or hopping a baby gate. She humps her human leaves. After 3 or so minutes I'd go back and try again, if she didn't hump then I'd play with her or give her attention, she humped I'd leave again. That teaches her that humping causes the human to leave, not humping means they stay and give her attention.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Get a good trainer. ASAP. Like someone else said, the humping is very likely not sexual, but dominance. Typically females don't hump people as much as males do in a sexual way. Since you're not saying exactly what brings out the aggression I don't know what else to tell you, but be VERY careful. However if you moved from a rural area to a more urban/suburban area she might be going a bit stir crazy. Make sure she gets enough exercise, but get on the phone with a good trainer as soon as you can.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I don't agree at all about the "dominance" thing. I think she is completely stressed out about the move, and is exhibiting the humping because of that. Then when she is most anxious, she is scolded for having stressed-out feelings. Rain has a good plan for how to get her to stop that. Do whatever you can to get her to feel more comfortable in this new place--do you play with her at all? Do any training? (positive reinforcement only). And be patient with her, reward her often for calm, relaxed, acceptable behavior.

http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/dominance-dogs-4076/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts