Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
The age of the dog counts in years from when they were born. So if they were born two years ago-they are two years old. Period.

People try to put 'dog years' on dogs and 'cat years' on cats because their lifespan is 1/10 to 2/10 as long as ours. There are all kinds of forumula's to figure out your dogs 'age in people years' but it's gues and it really doesnt' mean anything.

And all else equal-small dogs live longer then large dogs (which is what your mom likely meant). Ponies live longer then horses. Dwarf rabbits live longer then giant rabbits.

·
Registered
22,636 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Smaller dogs tend to live longer than bigger/giants too. It is a generalization though.

Sorta side note...I just saw an article in a trade magazine that a longevity study showed female dogs spayed before 4 years old were less like to live to their longevity expectations. Dogs left intact through 6 years of age live 30% longer than average.

That is just longevity and not accounting for the other studies with cancer being more prevolent in S/N animals.

Makes you think.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
a trade magazine
Scientists hate the popular media for that-they grab a poorly done or senational journal article-often not even published and make a whole story about ti and publish it in popular media.
I'm not saying that study is poorly done-but I wouldn't take anything you read in a magezine or newspaper as any 100% true ever. Be careful what your sources are ;)

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
I'm not saying it's selling something-I'm saying you should be careful of sources.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I understood that. I went to college too. And so did the guy doing this research ....

>>Dr. Waters received his BS (1980) and DVM (1984) degrees from Cornell University and his PhD degree from the University of Minnesota (1992). He is currently Professor of Comparative Oncology in the School of Veterinary Medicine and Associate Director of the Center on Aging and the Life Course at Purdue University. Since 2000, Dr. Waters has served as Executive Director of the Gerald P. Murphy Cancer Foundation, a not-for-profit research institute located in the Purdue Research Park that is committed to defeating cancer and other age-related diseases through basic, comparative, and clinical research. He is nationally recognized for his work on utilizing pet dogs as models of human aging, and is an expert on the comparative aspects of prostate cancer in men and dogs<<

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you own a dog or puppy, you've heard this rule- 1 year for Fido equals 7 years for you. The math isn't that simple. Dogs grow more quickly than we do early on. So the first year of your fuzzy friend life equals to about 15 years of human life. Dog Age Chart is available, anyway still you have same doubt check the chart.(y)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts