Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I haven't been on in a while :eek:
But I'm back :)

Chief( A German Shep.) turned 1 back in November. Anytime he pees (whether at the office with me or at home) he'll squat, sometimes it looks like he's going to sit down). When will he start to lift his leg?

At home he does sort of live with another dog. The dog is a male but he doesn't lift his leg, and he's about 3-4 years old (He's a chocolate lab)

Will Chief always squat, or will he eventually pick his leg up?

·
Registered
303 Posts
It depends on what-I have no clue! He may or may not. Im not sure what dictates when to start the leg lifting. Some of mine did it when they were about 6 mos old. I have one that still squats but will lift his leg everyonce in awhile. He's 3 and didn't lift his leg until very recently and then only a few inches off the ground.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My dog didn't start lifting his leg until I took him out with other dogs that did. My parents own a dog that's 2 years old now and he doesn't lift his leg either. I sometimes wonder if it's because there are no other males around him so he doesn't know to lift it??

·
Registered
70 Posts
We have a 2 year old male German Shepherd Dog that squats. Lol.

I'm not sure the age that the dog 'should'. May depend more on the dog.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 11 months old Dal doesn't lift his leg. I have a boy and an older girl. I do not actually care if he does. It seems much more 'civilized' the girls' way! :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Xander is 18 months and still doesn't lift his leg. Some male dogs never do, some will sometimes, while others don't know how to do anything but hike their legs...LOL.

Now, my 9 year old female...she'll hike her leg...how bout that one. hehe.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Can't tell you. It varies from male to male. I can't find a rhyme or reason. Not by age, being neutered or unneutered, living with another male that lifts, ect. I've some that started lifting around 6-7 months and lift their leg more often, then others that maybe do it occasionally or like almost never, still 5-6yrs old mostly squat.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Lifting the leg is a dominant behavior, dogs do it when they feel the need to mark their territory, that's why a more dominant female would lift her leg as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is he fixed? If so he probably never will. I watch an American Bull Dog from time to time that is fixed and 3 years old. He squats still. However my Pitbull that isn't fixed and has never been around males often, does lift his leg to pee. A fixed male dog that was fixed as a puppy had no reason to mark his territory since he's no fertile. An in-tact male marks because that his way of saying to other dogs, this is my territory, i am fertile, i want to mate, and this is where i am and have been. If he's not fertile or never mautured as an in-tact male, then there's not many instints telling him to mark his territory. So it comes down to if he is fixed, and when was he fixed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts