Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I think I mentioned this before but, I feed her what I eat, I avoid cooking with onion, garlic, avocado, etc. Things that would harm her and she will be five years old this december

Ever since a few months back I have noticed a strange behaviour, where before she would devour anything I'd give her at that moment, now she smells the food, 4 out of 5 times she will just sit and look at me, like begging even though I gave her her portion, when i ignore her she just(I assume) gets mad and goes and lays down away from me, but always looking at me(and that is weird because she usually eats and then hops on the couch and falls asleep or gets in the back of the couch and lays her head on my shoulder)

Sometimes she will leave the food in her plate for hours, once she didn't eat until next day, I thought maybe I can "force" her to eat at her "normal" time(feed her 2 times a day instead of one BIG meal) by throwing away the food if she does not eat it, I just started doing that today, and then she was just smelling everywhere(After 4 hrs) and trying to find her food, then she just sat and looked at me, and after about 20 mins of staring she went to lay on the couch, and still stared at me for about 30 mins. and then fell asleep and is acting up(She usually lays with her head on my leg or as aforementioned, and now she sat in a corner of the couch with a sad look, and just now, about 6 hrs later, she "forgave me" and rested her head on my leg

Is this type of drastic change normal? Should I continue to throw away what she eats until she starts eating normal(Aka as before this behavior started) or should I just put her food in the plate and leave it there until she eats it?

I know that we humans can some times not want to eat for some reason, and skip meals, but not 4 out of 5 times

·
Registered
388 Posts
What constitutes a balanced diet for dogs is totally different from human food. I'd suggest buying her a good quality kibble or researching what constitutes a good, balanced nutritional raw diet for your dog!

That being said, anytime an older dog, or any dog for that matter, has a sudden change of behavior, it's a good idea to have a vet check to rule out a physical cause.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Maybe have her checked by your vet to see if everything is ok.
Cooked / processed meals are not always completely nutritionally balanced for our dogs.
Are you trying to feed your girl too much, is she over weight. Sometimes when our dogs are being offered more food than they require, they automatically control their own food intake.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I agree with the above...........take the dog to a vet. And feeding your dog what you eat is not giving the dog a balanced and healthy dog diet. Dogs need nutrients that will not be found in an all person-food diet, so your dog may have some deficiencies that will need to be corrected.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts