Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new here and I came on to get some advise on the little terrier that me and my wife picked up at a ladies house yesterday for our 9 and 12 year old daughters. First let me tell you which may be important....my daughters are ADHD/ADD and they have never had a dog.
Yesterday a very good friend drove us to her sisters house where her sister had been taking care of a small terrier (male) for almost a year. We live in Wichita Falls Tx, well Bingo the young terrier was dropped off by a car next to the house and let go, I just hate when people do this...and for the last year has lived around a family who are in their late 50's early 60's have been telling him mainly down, no or go most of the time. He has lived outside with very little interaction with children most of the time and not feed probably the way he should have been. Bingo looks either like a short stature rat terrier or jack russell or mixture, the vet wasn't sure. We picked him up yesterday and I was the first one to pick him up, hold him to the vet, be with him when he got his shots and hold him in the vehicle until we got home... and to say the least he has taken up with me. The vet says he is probably no older than 2-3 years old and maybe younger, he got a check up yesterday, rabbi shot, distemper shot and flea/tick application...we are taken him in for heart worm and regular worm check (fecal) in 3-4 weeks. We got Bingo for the girls not for me so my predicament is I want him to attach more to them, don't get me wrong I love him to death but I want him to be their dog not mine, if you know what I mean....the kids are already getting jealous that he will hop up on the couch and sit next to me, seems like he trust me alot. He is not hyper at all and when you do call him by name he will come but in a kind of cowardly or cautious way, and I'm sure this is do to what he has gone through. He is allowed in the house my wife even allows him on her mothers couch but only with a blanket on it, we will keep him outside most of the time during the day and he will sleep in side the house at night. He has at one time been a lap dog, now he just seems to not know what to do....I think he is totally confused now that there are people who want to love on him instead of telling him to get down and go away. We are going to get him fixed probably in the next few months, he seems to try and hump my hand at times....I've never really had alot of experience with having male dogs so is this natural for them???....I've just been telling him no..not in a mean or hateful way and then petting him on his head and back. He hasn't eaten much since he's been here but is drinking water very well, we also have a green turtle sand box outside that I filled 4-5 inches with water and he has gotten in it a few times and laid down. He seems to really enjoy his new home, he was extremely worn out last night and right now he is lying on the couch sleeping next to me as I type.
If anyone has any advise on how to get him used to our children and possible be their dog it would be very appreciated, like I said I never thought I would really fall for the little guy like I do...I'm more of a border collie person...but he is adorable and I know needs alot of loving and good care. Thanks for taking the time to read this, sorry for rattling on like this but it's been awhile since we've had a dog, the last dog we had which was a border collie was also a car drop off and she also took up with me the most. I just want him to be the childrens dog and not just mine, Thanks.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Give some time on getting used to the new home and being less cowering and fearful...that will get better with time and good treatment that you seem to be giving him.

I love terriers and that's what my preference is. The few that I have known/had seem to attach to 1 or two people and tolerate the rest of the family. Your children need to be taking the lead on feeding if they want the dog to bond to them and attach to them (with your supervision...they cannot be trusted to do it reliably so you have to make sure they are doing it). That should help. I also make sure the kids don't mistreat my dog...and that is from the DOG's perspective, not theirs. Sure they may think it is oh so cute to pick him up and tote him like a doll but he doesn't. Ditto for dressing him up. My 8 year old is the worst about wanting to pick up our dog and tote him around like a purse. I don't allow it.

Another thing you can do is get the kids in the backyard with training treats and take turns haveing the dog go between them using the "come" command. You're teaching him the command plus helping him realize good things happen when they are around. You have to supervise though and tell the kids when to drop the treat because they can really frustrate a dog with poorly timed rewards.

Dogs choose who they want to bond to, though...I wanted mine to be for the family but I'm the only person he follows from room to room. I really think my kids are fine with it because a day or two after we got him they were playing "pet pals" video game and he was wanting to sit on their lap and they asked me to come get him so he wouldn't bother him. OMG I was rolling my eyes...so I have no sympathy when they whine the dog doesn't love them like he loves me. Sometimes you will get the awesome storybook dog/child bond but most kids don't have the attention span to dedicate to the care of a dog that engenders that type of bond.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Oh...also don't make the girls do any of the yucky jobs like brushing, baths, and medicine. My sister's schnauzer (mini) loved my oldest nephew best. He went to college and she downgraded to the middle nephew. She hates my youngest nephew because my sister has enlisted him for dog grooming chores...

·
Registered
573 Posts
Agree with marbear - give the dog a bit of a break for now and let the kids do the feeding and fun chores (fun for the dog) only. Don't let the kids carry him around, or get "in his face" if he doesn't want to cuddle. Make HIM want to be with them, and not the other way round. Think of making human friends - usually it's pretty hard to make friends for someone who is needy and asking for displays of affection all the time. In comaprison, someone who shows "hey, I am doing all this fun stuff and I don't NEED you, but I'm open if you want to join" has a much easier time.
Maybe enroll them in a positive kid & dog obedience class together... that might help the kids understand the dog better, and will show the dog that interactions with the kids are fun.
We had families with kids in our S&R training classes, and some of the kids were really successful, cause they just did things intuitively without overthinking.

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
Just a chuckle....if the dog sleeps with them he will bond with them....our one houla sleeps with my daughter and they are now inseparable, even though I feed her and take care of her all day long!!! sheesh....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts