Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't think of a better way to get advise other than a dog forum.
If you don't mind sharing I have just a few questions

What size of dog run do I need?
I have a 40 lb. dog

What brand of don run do you recommend?
Welded Wire or Chain link (Chain link is much cheaper)

What kind of kennel flooring do you recommend?
My neighbor has horse mats for his kennel any problems with this?

What kind of kennel cover or roof do you recommend?
Not a fan of the plastic tarps

Any suggestions on what else I might need for a great kennel?

Thanks

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Those rubber horse mats would be lovely. You might also leave some area as dirt or gravel for the dog to use as a toilet?

Yes, a roof to protect from rain and sun is important.

Overall, my advice on dog runs is that a dog should not have to spend much time in one. A dog gets very bored out there and can get all sorts of neurotic habits and mental health issues from long periods of confinement, particularly if he is alone. Even a large dog run, is a very confined space to a dog.

Dogs are happiest if they can get at least an hour a day of vigorous exercise, running freely doing dog things, sniffing, exploring, chasing. If you can provide this safely that's the best thing. (such as taking the dog for a long walk in the woods.) Otherwise pup will need some exercise jogging with you, or playing fetch in the yard, or swimming, but something to exercise the body and mind.

Beyond the exercise pup needs lots of time close to you, that would be in the house with you, perhaps even sleeping in your bedroom, cuddling with you in the evenings while you are on your computer.

All that should leave very little time for pup to be alone in his kennel. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tess,
Thank you for your reply, Do you have a Dog run? If so how big is it? Looking for more feedback on what's out there in dog runs?

Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Tess,
Thank you for your reply, Do you have a Dog run? If so how big is it? Looking for more feedback on what's out there in dog runs?

Thanks
Mark
Well, I'm sorry I'm not going to be much help. We have no dog run and not even a fence. We live in a rural area. Our dogs go on extended walks with us, and when outside we monitor them closely. They live in the house with us.

I'm not against runs in principle. Its just that the way we manage our dogs lives, a run is not needed. I do notice some dogs in the world have to spend an inordinate amount of time in runs, and it can make the dogs a bit crazy.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
We have a run, but he's rarely out in it for more than a couple hours a day. He's much happier with us than in his run.

Chain link, professionally installed due to size/strength requirements we had.

We left the grass and dirt, but horse mats would be fine, but do leave a potty area free

You need a roof, I recommend a high quality canvas tarp, it'll hold up much better than the plastic ones

Check your local laws, in many area if the dog is outside for X period of time a dog house maybe required (and may be in general depending on your climate

Water: i recommend a self refilling bowl attached to a hose, even for short periods

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Here's to putting off work and catching up on the dog forum!

Ditto to what Tess said and here's my extended take on dog runs:

Given the size of your dog, I'd say 5x10 ft is the smallest you're going to want to go. I like 7x12's better but you may find that your dog just doesn't use the space; our dogs just sleep or lounge around while they are in their runs. (A lot of people recommend building runs long and narrow to encourage exercise, but personally, I feel like dogs "exercising" in them are just frustratedly, neurotically pacing; outside the kennel is where exercise should be taking place....)

Runs are used extensively in the gun dog world, and the brands I hear most often recommended in it are Priefert and Mason Kennels. I also like Behlen Country's products. We just built a four run kennel and used Priefert due to its high praises; the panels were solidly made, but TBH, we were disappointed in that the 10' panels were a bit bowed. However, I suspect that was due to the retailer's method of storing them.... I think their 10' panels could be improved with a rail at the midpoint (vert or horiz).

Welded, powder coated wire will last longer and make sure you get a strong/lower gauge. It is also generally safer and if good quality, shouldn't rust out for decades. If price is a concern, though, galvanized chain link would be fine, though. Make sure it's secured to the frame sufficiently so that your dog won't be able to squeeze his head through. Also, if the bottom railing isn't raised up by legs an 1"/so, prop it up with some cement pavers so it doesn't rust out around the base; it will have plenty long of life then. Dogs can chew through and break out of chainlink by other means. (Our chainlink kennels sitting flush on the ground have been used for over 12 years (one for 15+yrs)- still functional but have rusted mildly-severely along the bases, hence the new kennels. We expect the Prieferts to last at least 2x as long, so it will be more efficient in the long run.)

As far as footing, rubber mats are great and easy on the joints. If you don't leave a potty area, then you'll have to hose it off regularly. (Regardless of footing, kennels should be cleaned at least once daily....) For any ground not covered by the mats: If you're dog is a digger, secure sturdy welded wire or hog wire to the ground that extends past the perimeter of the kennel. You'll want to cover it under a few inches of well draining footing, such as pea gravel, hogsfield, pellets, or chips. For footing in our runs, we've always used pea gravel over wire as described above. You have to add gravel periodically, but I think the maintenance is easier and definitely more comfortable for the dogs than concrete or decking. Periodically we apply kennel disinfectant and rinse them thoroughly.

If you can work conduit and end up with a chain link kennel, then you can build your own roof frame to cover with a canvas, heavy duty tarp, or sunscreen. I've made sunscreens to fit and secured them with grommets, and the material we used was solid enough for light/medium rains. Regardless of your material, make sure it's taught so it doesn't get damaged by wind or rain puddling. You can also build a framed roof and cover with steal siding or shingles.... It's really a material of budget, climate, and personal preference.

I'd suggest a dog house regardless of city ordinances, or at the very least a dog bed. Kuranda or PipeDreams beds are nice; you can also make your own with pvc and double layer duck cloth/canvas/high denier nylon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My dog makes a mess with her food, as soon as I fill it up her bowl.
She knocks it over.
I am afraid this will attrack rats and mice?
Any suggestions?

Thanks for the great info so far?

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
My dog makes a mess with her food, as soon as I fill it up her bowl.
She knocks it over.
I am afraid this will attrack rats and mice?
Any suggestions?

Thanks for the great info so far?
Get a raised bowl that you can hang on the kennel. They make them for dogs or you can adopt small livestock feeders.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
26 Posts
I need some info on this too. im getting the largest kennel I can offord but what could I use in place of horse matts?
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 9 of 9 Posts