Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, and thank you all for your help! I will try to keep this as brief as possible. Here's a little background on my Storm. She is a 20mo old pitbull mix. She's a good weight, active and playful. She has always had a nervous tendency, and skittish around new people or objects, but otherwise a healthy dog until recently.
I first noticed a few months ago, she occasionally had an upset stomach. Her belly would gurgle, and would sometimes follow with a loose stool or vomit. Then it would subside. This would occur once a month or so, but has progressively gotten worse since then, and now happens every 2-3 days. I have tried switching her food, and after a week or two on something new, she loses her appetite again. She is now on a grain-free sensitive stomach formula. I'll fill her bowl but she lets it sit for hours, sometimes a day, before eating. The change in her food did not affect her symptoms. When she has a bout, it starts with no appetite, followed by gurgling tummy, vomit and diarrhea. I have noticed fresh blood recently in both her vomit and stool, and both are usually mucousy. I took her to the vet 3 days ago, and everything checked out. Normal blood screen and no parasites. I know there are many things that can cause these symptoms, but the blood and gaining frequency has me concerned. Anyone have any advice or suggestions as to what it could be, or things I can do to help?

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Time to set her up for X-rays- chest to look at esophagus and abdomen. Blood in both is very concerning. Also ask your vet about starting her on famotidine and sucralfate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I'll look into that. The vet wants to test her for Addison's also, even though her electrolytes test was normal.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Sounds exactly like my hound. It took me a year to figure it out. With my guy it was meat intolerance. You need a single meat food like blue Basic ,Wellness simple or Zignature all have these foods. You want a meat that you have never given to your dog before. With my hound everything but turkey gives him stomach issues. Zinging tummy, need to eat grass and throw up, won't eat, throwing up bile because he refused to eat. Just make sure if you don't use one of the brands above, the food you choose has one meat and the same named fat in the food. Preferably one grain or none is better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts