Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had their dog/puppy digest Advil? How much, what were the symptoms and what were the results? My 8 1/2 month old pit/ lab mix puppy suddenly started wetting her bed- 3 times during the night (like a lot, huge puddles-this was saturday night) after being completely house trained. The next day, Sunday, I found out that some one had spilled a whole bottle of Advil on the floor and they didn't pick them all up. 6 to 8 more found on the floor, which I then picked up. I don't know for sure if she ate any or not. She did not eat all that day. Peed in her sleep again, after going outside to pee as normal all day. Water intake is okay. Normal. Monday she didn't pee during the night. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday pees whenever she sleeps, doesn't wake up. Her energy level is normal. We have 2 large dogs that she plays hard with. No abnormal, visible signs of overdose, or medium dose. Took her to the vet and they did a regular panel of blood work and everything was normal. Today we tested a urine sample. Everything normal. No urinary tract infection. HAS ANYONE DEALT WITH ADVIL ACCIDENTS? It has been a week and her puddles are much smaller, but still pees when she sleeps. Vets wants to put her on permanent medication but I don't want that. Any experiences will help. Tell me your story.

·
Registered
262 Posts
My since passed Aussie was on Proin for urinary spay incontinence.
They had it under lock and key so I asked why. Apparently Proin can be used to make some type of illicit drug from what my vet said.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for that. Will check out the advertised med if it does clear up. Getting better. Only an accident when she is first sleeping around 7pm, overnights has been fine lately. I'm hoping if it was Advil, it is getting out of her system without damage.

·
Registered
668 Posts
If your vet told you it was a steroid I would be looking for a new vet. Proin is safe in dogs but has some detrimental side effects in humans. I would first get a second opinion before starting an 8 1/2 month old puppy on urinary incontinence medication. JIMO

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If your vet told you it was a steroid I would be looking for a new vet. Proin is safe in dogs but has some detrimental side effects in humans. I would first get a second opinion before starting an 8 1/2 month old puppy on urinary incontinence medication. JIMO
Thank you. I am doing just that. And she seems to be getting better. We are into week 2 (approx 10 days) and last night no accidents. So I am hoping that whatever it was is working through her system. Over the weekend I bought some bladder control treats, just to feel like I was doing something.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Has anyone had their dog/puppy digest Advil? How much, what were the symptoms and what were the results? My 8 1/2 month old pit/ lab mix puppy suddenly started wetting her bed- 3 times during the night (like a lot, huge puddles-this was saturday night) after being completely house trained. The next day, Sunday, I found out that some one had spilled a whole bottle of Advil on the floor and they didn't pick them all up. 6 to 8 more found on the floor, which I then picked up. I don't know for sure if she ate any or not. She did not eat all that day. Peed in her sleep again, after going outside to pee as normal all day. Water intake is okay. Normal. Monday she didn't pee during the night. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday pees whenever she sleeps, doesn't wake up. Her energy level is normal. We have 2 large dogs that she plays hard with. No abnormal, visible signs of overdose, or medium dose. Took her to the vet and they did a regular panel of blood work and everything was normal. Today we tested a urine sample. Everything normal. No urinary tract infection. HAS ANYONE DEALT WITH ADVIL ACCIDENTS? It has been a week and her puddles are much smaller, but still pees when she sleeps. Vets wants to put her on permanent medication but I don't want that. Any experiences will help. Tell me your story.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is for informational purposes only. It is general info from the FDA. I have a degree in neuropharmacology but I AM NOT a physician nor vet. Please DO NOT take this as giving advice.
Phenylpropanolamine is a decongestant used for things like allergies to treat symptoms of nasal and chest congestion. It is also used in some diet aids, therefore it is also a sort of stimulant. And yes, it is used illicitly to make a kind of cheap speed.
As for ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, etc) it is a Nonsteroidal anti-inflamatory drug. It reduces swelling by blocking certain chemicals (enzymes) that cause inflamation. It also blocks enzymes that are used in the body to control normal gastrointestinal and kidney function. Ibuprofen is absorbed very quickly into the bloodstream.
But in dogs, the drug is recycled over and over in the dog's body by way of the liver instead of being removed from the body by being metabolized (broken down) in the liver, then excreted through the urine or feces. the end result is the repeated exposure to the drug and is the cause of the poisoning effect.
The urinary incontinence (peeing uncontrollably is due to the effect it has on the kidneys Other things to watch for are dark, tarry stools, decreased appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, and bloody stools.
Treatment depends on how soon the treatment for poisoning is started. According to the VCA Animal Hospital, AKA, FDA, and Poison Control, treatment usually involves getting the drug out of the GI tract as soon as possible and administering activated charcoal. This was the protocol used when my Riley was attempting to soothe an upset stomach and took a BIG bite of an azalea bush. The VCA Hospital also uses an anti-vomiting medication and meds to protect the stomach and GI tract to reduce the bleeding. In my particular situation, a physician had me taking ibuprofen 4 times per day at 200MG per dose. I only took it for about 2 weeks, but it was enough that it caused Acute Bleeding Gastritis. Now I cannot take any kind of NSAIDs because I could end up with severe stomach bleeding. I am taking a medication to reduce the acid secretions in my stomach. The vet would possibly use the same type of drug that is appropriate for dogs.
If it were me, I would get your pup to an animal ER and/or find a competent veterinarian. What I did in finding a good vet was Googling independent reviews of several vets and asked around with friends and other members at my church. I found a very good one that way. Apps like Yelp, Quora, Yellow Pages were helpful.
These are only MY thoughts on it and what I have done relative to my dog only. But if it were me, I would act quickly in getting treatment for your pup.
I trust I did not overstep any boundaries here, but I felt like I should provide information to give you an overview of the problem. Again, this is not advice, just info and what I have done and would do.
My prayers are with you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you. You did not overstep. I asked for advice. I appreciate your input. It has been about 10 days, and to be honest I don't know for sure if she ate the Advil, although ahead a puppy and eats everything. She has stopped her uncontrolled urinating, so fingers crossed, it may be getting out of her system. Also, I was in Alabama for two weeks walking in the woods a lot. I've had another dog before get sick for two weeks from something she ate in the woods. . Crazy stuff, but so far she's getting better on her own. Thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts