Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
My family are considering getting a French mastiff next October. The mastiff will join my 3 year old male boxer who is great will other dogs and humans. However, as with any dog, i would like to know what i am getting into before i get the dog, so i have a few questions...

Firstly are Dogue de Bordeaux good with other dogs? This is a necessity with the next dog i get as we already walk with 10 or 15 dogs at a time and meet up with new ones constantly, so a dog with a very very dominant persona possibly wont work. Also, are they playful with other dogs and if so in what way do they play? And finally what are they like with kids?

I would also like to add the reasons why I want a French mastiff, mainly its because i want another dog and these dogs are beautiful, cuddly, unique, big and protective. I have considered all costs and feel this breed is worth it.

If there is anything else you think I might need or like to know about French mastiffs would be brilliant, many thanks,
Emma

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have much first hand experience with the breed. I did meet one that is being cared for by a local rescue...He was pulled from the pound to be saved. He wasn't eating. They found out that somebody cut his tongue out. Somebody also cut off his ears; they were not docked by a vet, it was a home hack job.

Despite all the abuse, he is an absolute love bug. Very gentle with everybody he meets and all dogs. He bumps you with his nose because he tries to lick, but doesn't have a tongue.

Have you been able to get a hold of a breeder or french mastiff rescue? They would be a great source of information for you and could answer all your questions about the breed, as they both would have a lot of hands on experience.

Also another thing to consider is BSL, or breed specific legislature. Some areas have placed bans on certain breeds that they have deemed "dangerous". The ban is usually placed on pit bull terriers, but I've heard of breeds like the Cain Corso and other molosser/mastiff like dogs being banned as well. It's at least something to look into just to be sure.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
there is no DSL for french mastiffs in the UK :)

go on the kennel club website they have a list of breeders some of which are assured breeders who have to do the minimum health tests ect.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
From the ones I know, they appear to be very sweet dogs. My uncle's is very loving and affectionate, he's accepting of strangers if he's with his owner. He's very protective of the kids (when they were out on the paddle boat he swam in and dragged the boat back to shore), but not to the point where nobody can interact with them. Now that he's older (about 8) he's very selective about the dogs he likes. He likes all the dogs he's known for a few years, but he's not a huge fan of Jayne or my uncle's black lab Porsche, who were just introduced to the "up north pack" this passed year. He's never been very playful, though. He's always kind of laid around while the other dogs play. That's about all I can tell you. It would probably be best to get into contact with a breeder or a rescue to learn a more professional point of view.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
They CAN BE big lovers who get along with most other dogs and people, however it varies and some are not dog friendly. How much of this is the result of early socialization its hard to tell. If you're planning on getting a puppy question the breeder closely about the temperments of her dogs so that you'll know what to expect.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. That's sick that someone would cut a dogs tongue out!!
We are still researching about the DDB, I love them but i am still not sure about the dog friendly part of them but hopefully research will prove me wrong.
Many thanks,
Emma

1 - 9 of 9 Posts