Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've grown up with dogs my entire life. This time, I'm living on my own with my boyfriend and have my own puppy. He is now 6 months old and a huge sweetheart. However I have never been so anxious about leaving him at home while I'm at work. My boyfriend and I take different lunches so he is only home 6 hours a day by himself.

I know that's completely fine but I can't help but feel so bad about it. We even started taking him to a dog day care place for full and half days (usually two - three times a week). It's just too expensive to take him every day. However the days we don't take him, I just feel awful and want to run home as soon as possible after work.

How do I help myself and tell myself it's okay? I do have ADHD and Anxiety but I have NEVER been this neurotic about a dog before. :eyeroll:

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Most dogs can't handle every day daycare, it's too much for them. Your schedule sounds fine. He gets plenty of exercise and interaction and then days to rest and recover.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I think what Icemaiden means can be summed up in a quote from the article that Amaryllis linked.

"Emotions are contagious, so if you want your dog to be afraid of thunder, then be afraid yourself!"

Dogs totally pick up on our emotions. They know when we are worried and that can affect them too.

I think the issue here is calming your anxiety, as from the sounds of it, your dog is doing just fine. I bet he sleeps most of the time. Maybe you can install a video monitor so you can check up on him and feel a bit better. Learn to calmly say good bye to him each day and calmly greet him when you get back home. If you make yourself act in a calm manner, hopefully you will be able to feel calmer and it will soon be part of the routine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts