Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, My pup is 9 weeks old and has had his first jab in the UK. He is due another in 10 days which will be his second and last. I had to go out today so left my dog with my partner with strict instructions not to take him out. She took him out and he sat opposite a dog by a distance of half a foot for over two minutes. The other dog was being walked by its owner and i have no clue if the other dog is vaccinated. What are the possible things he has been exposed to?

Thanks

Johnny

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I think your pup should be fine. I'd only be concerned if he came in physical contact with the dog, or sniffed it's excrement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the reply. Does it matter if the other dog is vaccinated or not? I hope he will be ok im stressed about his health

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Rather than stress out, why not use the time to take your partner out to lunch and explain that in the future, when a request is made on the puppy's behalf it is important. Do this is a positive way so both of you can build a relationship where you are sure the other person is looking out for the things you value.

·
Registered
713 Posts
As Rain said your pup is probably going to be fine since you've already started his vaccines, however many viruses that your pup can contract are in the soil or airborne and don't need direct contact with another animal. Perhaps you should bring your partner along to the next vet visit so they can explain the importance of preventing accidental exposure to diseases until your pup has finished their vaccines. Speaking of which, vaccines are continued every 3-4 weeks until your pup is about 16 weeks old. Unless they have some sort of new magical vaccine in the UK that doesn't compete with a pups maternal antibodies, your pup is going to need quite a few more vaccine boosters. It's also not advisable to vaccinate more frequently that every 14 days. You may want to confirm your pups vaccine schedule with your vet. If it is as you say in your first post "My pup is 9 weeks old and has had his first jab in the UK. He is due another in 10 days which will be his second and last.", I would ask them why they are repeating the vaccine so frequently, and why they are finishing them at such a young age.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts