Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I currently own a black labrador retriever/pitbull mix named Bubby. Ive introduced him to a pack of hunting dogs before (since my dad got him specificly for hunting, but he turned out to be more of a one-person dog and wont listen to him, and since I'm against hunting I sure aint teaching him!) Anyway, since he is an only dog, I want to get another dog his size. He does well with other dogs, but doesnt like males or ANY other species, and of his own. So, the new puppy will have to be female. I have a lot experiance with all different breeds, and I have a lot of knowledge about different breeds, I dont think it will be a problem to find the perfect puppy. There is one problem though, TOO MUCH VARIETY!!!
I have several breeds in mind, and I dont know wether to get a puppy from a breeder, rescue a dog, or what. My friend has a purebred white golden retriever that got out and is pregnant, and since she is such a pretty dog, I want one of her puppies. On the other hand, I want to rescue a dog from the pound because that is actually saving a life. But, once I get to thinking, wont most of the puppies that the retriever has end up in a shelter? I mean, they will be mix breeds and since the owner is irresponsible as it is, you never know what will happen. Well, my dog limit is three, so why cant I just get a puppy and adopt later? Its so confusing o_O
Maybe it will be easier if I list some breeds Im interestead in, and ya'll give me suggestions?
Okay...
Golden Retriever
Labrador Retriever
Pitbull
German Shepherd
Rottweiler
Border Collie, or a collie of some sort.

Anyway, I dont really want a purebred, because I want to rescue. I have had experiance with Labs, Rotties, Pitbulls, and collies. Well, I mean CLOSE experiance. I have heard that trained properly(easy to train to) golden retrievers are good family dogs, so Im not to worried about getting one, or a mix. GSD have always been a favorite of mine, and I have a lot of knowledge about them. Now collies, I know they have a lot of energy and everything but there are a lot of them in my local shelter so I need some advice on that. ANY advice would be GREATLY appreciated. PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE! :)

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
How active are you? What exactly are you looking for in a dog besides a companion for the existing dog?

The only one thats a red flag to me is the border collie...unless you are EXTREMELY active, have livestock for the dog to work, or and deep deep into training a BC will probably just drive you nuts.

GSD are also big time workers and will need a constant job to be happy.

Rotties and Pits tend to have nice ON/ OFF switches if you need a dog that can just chill and be active

I don't have anything bad to say about goldens...except the health issues.

I won't comment on labs lol :p ;)

All the breeds you list are very common in rescue...it wont be hard to get a purebred if thats what your set on. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I am....active I guess. I play with Bubby throughout the weekends and we usually go somewhere and every single day I take him for a 2mile walk, so I guess thats active :D
Besides a companion for Bubby, I am looking for a dog that will do well in the house(not all the time just an hour or two each day and at night when it gets cold) and a dog that can keep up with me :/ Bubby can hardly do that. I love being able to train dogs, and thats why I would like one that has a high training ability ;)

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
i think you should start looking at rescue while you wait to see what the pups will be like, you can take your time, check out foster situations and really make sure that you are getting a good match for your family...rescue is a lot of work (as i am finding out, i just got my first rescue). is your neighbor planning on getting the dog fixed? hopefully, if not, i personally would hesitate to take one, especially because cute golden puppies will have an easier time finding homes than a lot of dogs that are at shelters.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah they dont really take care of her right now(lack of walking, vet visits, and a broken fence where she escapes almost everyday), so I highly doubt they are going to get her fixed. The only reason I really want one of the puppies in because they probably wont find then homes and will most likely give them to a shelter or sell them at a flea-market, which really makes me mad. I have decided though that a shelter dog would be better for me because Bubby would probably freak out if he wsa introduced to a small puppy. Im looking for into adopting a pitbull or german shepherd, because there are over 30 pitbulls in my local shelter and most of the other dogs are either aussie mixes or german shepherds.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Yeah they dont really take care of her right now(lack of walking, vet visits, and a broken fence where she escapes almost everyday), so I highly doubt they are going to get her fixed. The only reason I really want one of the puppies in because they probably wont find then homes and will most likely give them to a shelter or sell them at a flea-market, which really makes me mad. I have decided though that a shelter dog would be better for me because Bubby would probably freak out if he wsa introduced to a small puppy. Im looking for into adopting a pitbull or german shepherd, because there are over 30 pitbulls in my local shelter and most of the other dogs are either aussie mixes or german shepherds.

puppies have the absolute best chance of making it out of a shelter situation...I would not stress about puppies finding homes...i'd worry more about them keeping those homes...but thats another topic alltogether.

If you want a pup, do it, but don't do it because they wont find homes, they likely will.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
171 Posts
German shepherds are from the working dog group. They like a lot of exercise. They make good companions and family dogs. And if they have other dogs to play with, they get a lot of exercise that way too. They don't need to be working all of the time as long as they get plenty of exercise. We have had a lot of German Shepherds. We haven't had problems with them needing to work. We have always had other dogs or Shepherds or us for them to play with.We have had 2 that were real hyperactive. We have one of them now. I call her my wild child. But she gets a lot of exercise with our other dog, so she is no problem. They are usually easy to train. But you have to make sure you are their leader or they can become a problem. They can be stubborn.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeah Im a leader alright 0-0;;;
Every dog that comes up to me immediantly shows submission by layying on its back and keeping its tail low to the ground and Im like....hahaha how do I do this?

Ohh, except Bubby -_- He knows my weakness ;P

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Yeah Im a leader alright 0-0;;;
Every dog that comes up to me immediantly shows submission by layying on its back and keeping its tail low to the ground and Im like....hahaha how do I do this?

Ohh, except Bubby -_- He knows my weakness ;P

Do you really want to know the answer to that? I don't think you'll like it..:D

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, probably that theyre scared of me, but theyre not because they approach me ;) Plus they dont have body tention

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Yeah, probably that theyre scared of me, but theyre not because they approach me ;) Plus they dont have body tention
Fear can certainly be a factor... but likely you are too assertive or intimidating to them... flipping over is an apeasement gesture in dogs.

They are trying to difuse whatever it is that is making them uneasy.

Tense or still bodies is a precurser to a bite... so yes, I hope there is no body tension.

personally if every dog I met flipped over... I'd be worried, not proud. It means the dogs are uncomfortable with my body language. :)

ETA: short and simple blurb about it...
http://www.intropsych.com/ch08_animals/submission_and_appeasement.html

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Dogs approach me and either bark (maybe its the glasses? or the red red hair?) or they go nuts and love me (maybe I smell like animal?) LOL

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Dogs approach me and either bark (maybe its the glasses? or the red red hair?) or they go nuts and love me (maybe I smell like animal?) LOL

Barking at you is likely fear based. Though they may just not like redheads...lol Could also be excitement...depends on what the dogs next move is...

don't we all smell like an animal? :eek: haha

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Barking at you is likely fear based. Though they may just not like redheads...lol Could also be excitement...depends on what the dogs next move is...

don't we all smell like an animal? :eek: haha
Next move is either run or they settle the bark and sniff me out.

Im sorry I meant smell like ferret LOL my sisters dog didn't like me when she first met me because I had the ferrets out that day and had like 10 of them on me...the next time I went over was in fresh non ferret smelly clothes and she loved me LOL HAHAHA

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If dogs showed fear over me I dont think they would follow me a short ways either, you've just never seen their reaction, therefore you dont know.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
If dogs showed fear over me I dont think they would follow me a short ways either, you've just never seen their reaction, therefore you dont know.

your right, Iam simply making an observation based on what you have told me. Its not meant as a personal stab at you. Just an observation and opinion from som'one who knows dog behavior. I figured you might find it useful as most people don't want dogs to behave the way you describe.

did you read my post?...I said fear could be a factor but not likely

and that them not following you if fearful is not entirely true either. Dogs will do anything you want them too out of fear. Thats the basis of correction based training.

Just because a dog follows you don't mean it doesn't have anxiety about meeting you. A dog meeting you and a dog following you are two different behaviors. One has the presure on and one the pressure off...

Its not meant to say you are mean or scary...but perhaps your body language is intimidating to most of the dogs you are meeting. This is very common with assertive people.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts