Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I have an elderly Karakachan, Mecho, who joined the family back in the summer. My other 2 mutts were terrified of him at first and kept barking and growling at him, whilst keeping their distance. He didn't react at all, just looked at them with sad eyes and went his own way. They got used to him and things settled down, but now he's trying to make friends and even after 4 months they will not give an inch. I think they are still a bit wary because of his size (he's about 130lbs, Polly and Bonzo are 30 and 40 respectively) but he has never shown any sign of aggression towards them and clearly just wants to be friends. It's almost like seeing your child being bullied at school, I feel so sorry for him.

Any suggestions?

And Merry Christmas all

Lynsey

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Not that have an idea but a bit of curiosity. Do the other dogs react the same when you are loving on Mecho?

And Merry Christmas to you as well.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Drivedog. It did cross my mind that there might be a touch of jealousy involved. Mecho is very affectionate and always coming over for cuddles and fuss, the other two have never bothered much. But when they do I always make a fuss of them. I sort of thought I should give him less attention when they are around, but I think he's still grieving for his previous owner and I can't bring myself to turn him away when he wants attention.

Lynsey

·
Registered
442 Posts
My mom had a cat that her other cats were horrible to. She really should have re-homed her. I always thought it was something in her body language that they could read that made her be a target.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Thanks for the reply Drivedog. It did cross my mind that there might be a touch of jealousy involved. Mecho is very affectionate and always coming over for cuddles and fuss, the other two have never bothered much. But when they do I always make a fuss of them. I sort of thought I should give him less attention when they are around, but I think he's still grieving for his previous owner and I can't bring myself to turn him away when he wants attention.

Lynsey
I'm not so sure how it works in a dog's world but from my experiences over the many years, dogs seem to thrive on human companionship and at times can take or pass on the presence of other dogs. I'm not suggesting that dogs amongst themselves do not partake in the each others presence as they certainly do enjoy the romping about and all. But the special humans in a dog's life might bring more to their existence than we might guess.

Maybe with Mecho being the older more confident dog coming into your pack and not just stopping in at times but being a permanent fixture has your other two dogs a bit off balance and taking some time for them to discover the new overall balance and dynamics of the pack you have created. Mecho soliciting your attention and affection and receiving it might be seen by the your other dogs as an assertive quality on Mecho's behalf and they might be "protesting" or very carefully testing the waters as to Mecho's claiming of your affection/attention. I'm probably wrong on most of this but it is difficult to really be more certain since I know such little about your pack. It does seem however, from the way you have described Mecho in other posts that he is a very confident dog and does not require any aggressive posturing or behaviors to hold his position. It is a certain air about these particular dogs like Mecho perhaps which does not require him to be assertive in the obvious ways we see so many other dogs with all their posturing and feigning.

I also don't think there is anything really wrong with your desire to give him the attention you choose as long as as he keeps an even keel and all coexist properly.

I know in another thread I mentioned I would plead ignorance regarding your situation in Varna since I have never been there and then a few days later, I'm watching this movie on TV and some of it takes place in Varna. The area along the Black Sea looked beautiful and full of history. I think the movie was a remake of the Mechanic.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My mom had a cat that her other cats were horrible to. She really should have re-homed her. I always thought it was something in her body language that they could read that made her be a target.
I'd love to know what goes on in animal's heads, especially my cat, she's got a real evil streak.

Drivedog:

what you say certainly makes sense, he doesn't seem to worry about anything. Well, I guess if you're that big you don't have to :) But I would think the other two would want to be Mecho's best friend - they'd never have to worry about anyone messing with them then. I suppose I'll just have to bide my time and hope they come to love him as we have.

That's interesting about the film, I'd like to see that. I'll have a look on youtube. Varna's a great place, you should visit if you ever get the chance

Regards

Lynsey

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I'm just guessing here, but its possible he never really cared much for or about other dogs, just humans. I know our dog could care less about other dogs, but she is fixated on us.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We had a minor breakthrough yesterday, Mecho and Polly went nose to nose for a minute or so and I thought they'd come to an understanding, but nothing since. Perhaps it was just the Christmas spirit.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Most LGD's are very selective in their dog choices. If Mecho isn't actually soliciting play it could be that your other dogs are simply respecting his choice in space. It also takes a very long time for an LGD to get comfy in a space. He may seem good right now but until he starts displaying for strangers and going alert etc. he is still getting used to things. As long as no one is truly uncomfortable, no fighting, etc I'd say just give it time.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The way things are shaking out today I think dogs are pretty smart. They really don't need dog friends. Who provides them with food, shelter, love? Humans not other dogs. Reversing who provides us with love, face licking, snuggles, joy and companionship? Dogs of course. I have a lot more dog friends than humans. My dog and I talk all the time. She listens intently when I explain complex math problems or talk sports. Haha

·
Registered
442 Posts
The way things are shaking out today I think dogs are pretty smart. They really don't need dog friends. Who provides them with food, shelter, love? Humans not other dogs. Reversing who provides us with love, face licking, snuggles, joy and companionship? Dogs of course. I have a lot more dog friends than humans. My dog and I talk all the time. She listens intently when I explain complex math problems or talk sports. Haha
I agree, I don't think they need or want dog friends all that much. Sure it can be fun to play, but humans are where it's at ;)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's probably a good thing that Mecho doesn't try to play, one whack from his giant paws would probably render them senseless. But when I let them out in the morning and Polly and Bonzo race off without him (he moves at the speed of a constipated snail), I can see he wants to go with them and check out what's going happening locally, but he's always left behind. I know I'm looking at this from a human point of view and he's probably quite happy really, but he's got this really droopy, sad, hangdog face that makes you feel sorry for him.

Lynsey

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Today I said goodbye to my lovely Mecho, it broke my heart. He was very old, his back legs had gone and he clearly couldn't be bothered to get up any more. I know I did the right thing for him, but we only had him for 5 months and, selfishly, I wanted more.

Over the last year I've lost both parents, 2 dogs, my husband had a stroke and I've been diagnosed with terminal cancer. I know life is supposed to be a great game, but I don't want to play anymore.

·
Registered
10,651 Posts
Today I said goodbye to my lovely Mecho, it broke my heart. He was very old, his back legs had gone and he clearly couldn't be bothered to get up any more. I know I did the right thing for him, but we only had him for 5 months and, selfishly, I wanted more.

Over the last year I've lost both parents, 2 dogs, my husband had a stroke and I've been diagnosed with terminal cancer. I know life is supposed to be a great game, but I don't want to play anymore.

(((HUGS))) I'm so sorry! I know what it's like to have everything pile on and to want to sit down and shout "I give up!!!!!!! It isn't fair!!!!" and to have that one last thing knock me for a complete loop:(. I hope that things start going better for you.

If you need to chat I'm here. I have stage 4 medullary thyroid cancer so if you just need to vent let me know. I'll keep you in my prayers.]

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Lynsey, I'm so sorry to hear about Mecho's passing. It's not the outcome I was hoping to read when I saw that you had updated your thread.

My heart goes out to both you and Rain. :huddle:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks SusanLynn for your good wishes. I've had a few bad days moping around, expecting to trip over Mecho every time I turn around, but I'm beginning to feel a bit better.

Lynsey

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been having similar problems if anyone could help me, too. I have recently got another dog and it isn't taking as well as my others to the prospects of our cat. I've tried to introduce them, but to no avail. Has anyone else had similar issues and how have they been fixed? I really want this relationship to work, but I've never had issues in the past with things like this.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One of my dogs, Bonzo, has always been inclined to chase our cat. I don't know if she would actually hurt her but I've never put it to the test. I chain Bonzo early evening to give the cat a chance to come in. There are times when the cat is around during the day and Bonzo still chases her (after 7 years) so I guess it will never change now. None of my other dogs have ever bothered about cats, I can only put it down to Bonzo being a hunting dog.

I'm not sure what to suggest really, maybe keep them apart if you are not around to supervise and hope the dog will get used to the cat. If there's still a problem after a couple of months then... well, I don't know.

That's not much help, sorry. I hope it works out for you. Keep us posted

Lynsey

·
Registered
87 Posts
@lynsey - perhaps that was the problem all along! His sad look in his eyes was telling you, I'm not feeling well; and your other dogs avoidance with him was because they knew he was ill all along.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts