Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fairly young puppy (cant remember how old right now) and he is driving everyone nuts with his energy. He takes most of it out on my older rescue dog by trying to play with him and nearly drives him nuts too. I've had puppies before but never with this much energy. He has 2 levels of movement"
1. Full on playing with everything he can
2. Dead asleep with loud snoring...

He is not aggressive at all and loves any sort of attention he can get. He sits and fetches but thats all we can keep his attention for. He would be a great bird dog but we don't bird hunt.

Does anyone have any ideas on training a dog like this? He takes no interest in treats and he has to be alone with you to even get his attention for a simple sit.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
You've just got to keep exercising him. There really isn't a better solution.

As far as the older dog, so long as they keep it civil, puppies learn from older dogs what is tolerable behavior. My brother's puppy was used to nipping it's litter-mates but he tried that once on my dog and my dog yelped and refused to acknowledge the puppy for a good 2 hours. To this day, my brother's dog has yet to nip anyone again.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Do you have any other younger dogs for him to play with? I have found with our puppies that our group will usually drain their energy in itself, along with teaching necessary discipline. What kind of exercise is he getting already specifically?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
202 Posts
As far as not taking treats and having trouble keeping his attention to training, use his food to train instead of putting the food in a dish. Or you can try using a toy to reward instead if he likes toys better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts