Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted a dog that was pretty close to feral. He will not let us pet him, and we have to crate him in order to brush his long hair - I get in the crate with him. I have to move slowly since he is so scared. What would be the best way to cut his nails? Noticed last night they are really long - (he has hair between his toes so he was standing in just the right position for us to see) and I really need to cut them. Would appreciate any ideas.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
@jaragr

I would recommend counter conditioning to get your pup over the nail trimming. Here's a link to get you started: https://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/counterconditioning-for-toenail-trim-aggression/

I'm a little confused about you getting in the crate with the dog. How big is the crate? I would be concerned that the dog may feel trapped and react.

It may take you some time to be able to cut his nails but if you persist, I'm sure you can be successful! :) Since they are so long, could you maybe bring him to the vet and have him sedated and cut? CC can take time, how long would depend on the severity of his anxiety.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I second possibly going to the vets to get the nails trimmed/trim feet fur. That way they will be at a good comfortable length and wont get even longer while you cc him.
Something that might be an option is using a scratch board to keep the length manageable while your getting him comfortable with the nail clippers.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a big crate - big enough I can get in with him. Since he has long hair and must be brushed it's the only way to do it. We've had him over 4 years and he will not come to us. Once I start brushing him, he seems to enjoy it. I just have to move slow. I love being able to pet him and that's the only time I can.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recommend two basic styles of nail clippers for your dog: a scissors type and a guillotine type. They both work equally well, so choose the design that you’re most comfortable with.
If your dog finds both kinds of clippers intolerable, an alternative tool is a Nail Grinder an electric tool that sands nails down. These offer great control, but take longer than clippers and some people (and dogs) find the sounds and vibrations they produce unpleasant. If Your dogs don’t like to have their feet touched, so it’s always a good idea to get your dog used to it before you attempt to clip his nails—ideally, this should start when he’s a pup. Rub your hand up and down the leg and then gently press each individual toe, and be sure to give her lots of praise and treats.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recommend two basic styles of nail clippers for your dog: a scissors type and a guillotine type. They both work equally well, so choose the design that you’re most comfortable with.
If your dog finds both kinds of clippers intolerable, an alternative tool is a Nail Grinder an electric tool that sands nails down. These offer great control, but take longer than clippers and some people (and dogs) find the sounds and vibrations they produce unpleasant. If Your dogs don’t like to have their feet touched, so it’s always a good idea to get your dog used to it before you attempt to clip his nails—ideally, this should start when he’s a pup. Rub your hand up and down the leg and then gently press each individual toe, and be sure to give her lots of praise and treats.
I have both a nail clipper and grinder, and both of my pups hate both. They aren't aggressive but it's impossible to keep them still or make them comfortable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts