Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago, I adopted an adult miniature pinscher from a shelter. From the start, he didn't get along with my two cats, but it has been getting worse. He has never actually hurt them, but he'll chase and bark at them whenever they're around, scaring one cat and causing the other to hiss and swipe at him. The other day, she actually drew blood, and the situation has only gotten worse since then. Now, he can't even see a cat without losing it. I'm very worried about my pets' safety, and I don't know what I can do to make sure they don't hurt each other. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Google "introducing dog to cats", and here's one of my fav articles:
Introducing Dogs and Cats | Jackson Galaxy
The short answer is, you need to put a stop to this behaviour immediately, separate rooms, a crate, baby gates, eliminate sight-lines if you need to, get your cats out of harms way, and your min-pin too.
Then, you'll need to train on leash only. Physical separation until you get it all sorted out.
Here's a thread that should help you, then see how things go, and keep on asking, and updates. I love hearing updates.
And I've been there, done that, going there again very soon.
http://www.dogforum.com/dog-training-behavior/new-puppy-skittish-cats-256809/

1 - 2 of 2 Posts