Dog Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just got a new pup and I'm interested in learning more about dog treats. Couple of questions, hoping to get some feedback

What types of dog treats does your dog like?
What do you look for when buying treats?
How much do you spend on treats?
How important are the ingredients in the treats?
Where do you buy your treats grocery, store, pet store, online?

Thanks!

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
Good questions, especially regarding the ingredients and if they are important. I kept it simple and just bought whatever protein ( meat ) was on sale at the grocery store and sliced it fairly thin and then dehydrated it in the oven or used my jerky machine. After that I would cut it into treat size bites. It's just less messy/greasy on your hands once it is a bit dehydrated, plus it's cheap. You also know the exact ingredients and chances are it's a ton better than most all commercially made dog treats.

One other thought, you might investigate the method of hand feeding your puppy its meals and using his kibble ( if you aren't feeding raw) as treats throughout the day. There are some good benefits from this approach including

• Adds focus & impulse control
  • Works for training bite inhibition
  • Builds a strong bond
  • Slows down quick eaters
  • Builds trust in shy/fearful dogs
A few people I know took this approach and they truly believed it produced wonderful results. It's not something you do for the life of the dog but it does sound like a great way to start a new pup off. I think the reason I like this method is that it instills in the pup that only good comes from the hand. I have never done this but if and when I get another pup, I believe I would.

ETA Congrats on the new addition

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Hi All,

Thanks!
Real meat
pure ingredients no junk PureBites® Products For Dogs | Purebites.com
Buying real meat is probably less expensive then most meat treats
Ingredients are very important you can find a lot of real harmful ingredients in treats like coloring and dyes.
Depends on the treat.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I don't buy commercial treats. I either dehydrate boneless meats and organs, or buy chicken feet from the grocery and give as snacks. They are naturally great for joint support as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Organic Dog Treats Survey

Hi guys,

New to the forum but I'm currently planning on getting my own dog soon. I have been perusing the site for tips and advice and finally decided to get an account.

I'm also studying for my Master's and consulting for a startup dog company in Syracuse, NY. I was hoping you guys could take this survey about your relationship with your dog in terms of what treats you feed him/her.

Please find the survey here -> https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FMMG7YD

Thanks,

Charles

·
Registered
93 Posts

Anything that is soft.

Soft, worth the money because treats are expensive!

$5 per bag. No more than that.

To me, not very. They aren't food, their treats. I also give my dog very small pieces when training so they don't gain weight.

Anywhere :p mostly pet store though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts