Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2 year old yellow lab, and for the last four months he has been itching every chance he gets, took him to the vet and they told us he was allergic to chicken and lamb, so they sold us these turkey patties but he did not like them at all in fact he would spit them out the moment he ate them. now my poor baby boy has these dark spots all over his body from where he itches and we tried this brand Natural Balance salmon flavor which is grain free and he is still itching. we change his bedding ever week and I vacuum everyday in thinking it might be the carpet and we change the filters in our A/C thinking maybe the air in our room is causing this, but still nothing. Can someone offer some advice on a good dog food for him? I don't like this vet we take him too they make it sound like we have to force the food down his throat and if we say no to their food they give us this face like they're going to call the cops and I don't mind spending the money on the food they offer but how can i feed my dog something he doesn't want?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Dog food and skin allergies

Hi. I really sympathize with you. Skin issues are no fun for pup or you.

I suggest to poke around the site here about dog food and skin treatments. I have posted many things on skin. I am not a vet, but have a lot of experience handling it from different angles. Including flea and tick issues.

What you are doing with the home is good. But there is quite a bit more. I would suggest to have some allergy testing. From a different vet. Also on the Dog’s Naturally website, I believe it’s them, that offer a home dog allergy testing kit. Get blood or saliva. Send it in. Get results mailed to you. If I had known that before I took my dog to the vet for it, I would have done it myself. Expensive, but less than having it done at the vet.

Basically it comes down to what works for you. Things that work for your particular dog and situation.

I would also suggest getting your dog exempted from rabies shots, unless you go away a lot and leave your dog in a kennel, which require all shots be given. You would need to contact the town dog license person and find out how to do this. For me it required a visit to the vet, then they had to call the state vet to get an exemption form filled out and then every year you would need to do that to obtain the licensing in lieu of getting a rabies shot. In some states they require a rabies titer. Which shows how much immunity your dog has. My state did it on a case by case basis. My dog was over vaccinated and over medicated. It became a very serious issue. Our furry friends are different than we are taking and tolerating medications and vaccinations.

Homeopathic vets have a protocol that they do so you don’t need to get your dog a rabies shot. They give what is called nosodes. I have gone this route as well.

Our dog went to the rainbow bridge. But the next dog I get I did some research here and some people suggested the The Home Kitchen dog food. It’s a dehydrated dog food. And the company says on the website you can get samples. But you really need to do the other stuff also as a whole dog approach. And start eliminating what it’s not. Keep a journal. Important. I have journals from some of my other dogs and cats.
Good luck.

Check back and let us know.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts