Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog has been great about potty training hasn't even had an accident in months then we had to move into my mother in laws and he starts having accidents more and more. Finally tonight he goes into the living room right in front of my mother in law and poops almost on her feet. Any idea why he would be having these issues? Could it be a conflict for him being in a new home? Or is it personal between him and my mother in law?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
My dog has been great about potty training hasn't even had an accident in months then we had to move into my mother in laws and he starts having accidents more and more. Finally tonight he goes into the living room right in front of my mother in law and poops almost on her feet. Any idea why he would be having these issues? Could it be a conflict for him being in a new home? Or is it personal between him and my mother in law?
Dogs dont hold grudges so definitely not a problem with your mom. Its actually pretty common for dogs who have been potty trained in one place to become "un-potty trained" in a new environment.

To a dog your not teaching them where to do their business you are teaching them where their "home" is, which (because dogs don't do their business where they live) results in what we call potty training.

When thrust into a new environment that teaching/learning process just needs to be repeated. Just start over again from step one (if you need a refresher there is a whole section about PT on DF) and your dog will figure it out again pretty quickly.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Your pup is having a set back because of the move. There will be an adjustment period and it will just take some time and patience. Start treating him as though he never was potty trained and start from the beginning again. Once your pup becomes more comfortable with the new living arrangements and with being retrained (well, more like reinforcing the desired behaviour), you should be fine.

·
Banned
6,281 Posts
Go back to how you started potty training. It's not an issue with your mother in law, rather an issue not being fully potty trained-she knows that she's not allowed to go in YOUR house, but not in any other houses. It doesn't really generalize that way and she'll pick it up faster now that she knows the behavior at one place but you need to go backwards and reward again for doing her business outside and making sure you bring her out often enough-don't always wait for her to 'ask'.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.