Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I know some of you have read a lot of my older threads on Bandit's diet, and we've been on Raw now for about 7 months and he is doing absolutely amazing! The real issue here is me and my schedule. Between work and school I've pretty much non-stop right now 7 days a week and have been having a hard time finding prep-time for Bandit's meals. I used to spend a few hours once a month and prep baggies with everything he needed, a variety of meat, some bone and some organ so that way it was super easy, just thaw and serve. But I haven't had time for that lately and I've been making his meals on the fly. Because of that I feel like I've been shorting him on organ and definitely been relying way too heavily on chicken. I'm worried that he isn't getting the vitamins that he needs and honestly until I'm done with school next fall I'm not sure I can get back to how I was doing it before.

Long story short, I found a refrigerated roll dog food that has 5 stars from pet food adviser that fits neatly into my budget and I want to do a mix of that and RAW until I'm done with school so I know Bandit is getting everything he needs. I'll probably have to put him back on Benedryl because of it and I feel terrible but I have to change something. I was hoping some people who feed a mix of different diet types could give me some advice on proportions and any issues that arised when they switched so I can try to avoid or prepare for them.

This is not a debate on RAW. I will be switching back to RAW as soon as it is feasible and arguing about it on this thread will in no way change my mind. If you decide to argue anyways I will be politely asking moderators to remove your posts. I've seen how nasty it gets and it's useless here, no ones arguments are going to change the positive impact RAW has had on my dog and my opinion towards it.

Reactions: cld22

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Chicken, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Spinach, Potatoes, Eggs, Pea Fiber, Carrageenan, Natural Flavors, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Celery Powder.
Only organ is liver - and why put natural flavors in?

Look up mold issues too.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm totally open to other suggestions! This was literally just the first one I found and when I saw their rating on dog food adviser I considered sticking with it because it's nice to my wallet

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
I think getting the organs into the dog consistently is the hardest part for most.

I've taken to buying a load of organ meats, into a blender individually and mix all together in a bowl. Yeah, it's got a bit of yuck factor the first time, raw kidney stinks... You can add coconut oil or vitamins or whatever to this mix.

Spoon it into flexible silicon ice cube trays, freeze and bag, and feed as you need. Makes a nice treat, dogs seem to love them. Takes about an hour every couple of months.

Alot of these commercial ready to go meals are lacking.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live with my boyfriends family. There is no way I could do that lol

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Sorry, missed the part where you were adding this into the dogs current raw diet. Can't see any issues with it really. Others I'm sure will throw info in here for you.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Would fresh frozen patties be an option? My local raw dog food store sells a few of brands. It's the whole animal ground up so it includes the organs, bones etc. Some companies put other things in it like veggies and supplements, others do just the animal. It might be a bit more expensive but it would at least still be raw?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know of any stores near me that have anything like that

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you know any of the specific chains or brands so I could see if they are near me?

·
Registered
712 Posts
I just did a quick google search and found a couple. I'm sure there are more.

If you use their store locator, you can find a pet food store that sells their brand.

Bravo foods seems to sell it with just the animal or with veggies.
Raw Dog Food | Best Frozen Raw Diet for Dogs - Bravo Pet Food

Primal seems to only have mixes with veggies
Supplemental Raw Diets for Pets: Raw Frozen Mixes

Personally, I don't like feeding my pup veggies, she doesn't digest them very well. The brand she eats is Carnivora but I think it's only available in Canada.

I wanted to add: The sites I've posted, they recommend it for supplemental feeding (which I believe is what you are looking for?). I still add raw meaty bones and tripe to her meals.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I looked up both brands and there are some local stores that sell them but both stores are known to be very expensive and I can't get any info on price because neither store has a website (also the Bravo brand had their food listed as being sold at an aquarium store so I'm not sure how accurate that is) I'll take a look around on my next day off but honestly I'm thinking of something that's closer to a complete diet, because while I plan on keeping raw as a part of Bandit's diet I want to know I'm okay if a few nights a week he has to go completely with the commercial food. I still have a huge supply of chicken bones from my parents so he'll be getting those no problem, but I just need a good temporary commercial hold over, because organs are hard to feed in a rush and because of money restraints I've been way too heavy with the chicken thighs, so I want a backup plan so at least I know he's getting all of the vitamins he needs, even if it isn't in the best form (which I swear will be temporary, jut need to make it to next January!)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts