Dog Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
We have a 14 week old Cockapoo. He is crated for a lot of the day, in between feeding, walks and playtime outside and he sleeps in our utility room at night in his bed, with newspapers on the floor. I am out of the house at work one day per week, so he stays in the utility room that day, also with newspapers (my sister takes him out for a walk in the middle of the day).
The thing I am struggling with a bit at the moment is that he now associates the utility room with eliminating. I have used a spray to get rid of the scent, but I think the association is there from night time and his one day per week in the room. So I don't feel like I am properly house-training him.
One part of me is saying that it's not a big deal, to leave things like this until he is a little older, but I'm also worried that I'm just postponing the training. If I crate him at night in the utility room, is it likely that he would be able to sleep the night at this stage?
If I manage to train him at night in the crate, will the days on his own with the newspaper then undo the good of that? Would I be better off waiting another month or so until he can hold it for longer?
If I leave him alone for any length of time in the utility room at the moment, he will most likely have an accident (understandably).
Many thanks in advance for any advice - I am a newbie puppy-owner!
C.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd crate him whenever you are gone. Use a divider so he only has enough room to lay down, stand up, turn around, and lay down again. If you give him enough room to potty in one area and lay in another, you have given him too much space and he will find it harder to learn where it's okay to potty. During the nights, crate him. When you are gone all day, crate him. Make sure he gets plenty of exercise and mental stimulation when you are home, but I'd definitely crate him when you are gone or are not supervising him. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks adorabull. The day he is on his own is quite long - 9am to 7:30pm. My sister takes him out for a walk in the middle of the day, but it seems like a very long time to keep him in a crate otherwise. I have started crating him at night now and it's going really well - no fuss and he holds everything until we take him outside in the morning. That one day a week will be the only issue!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Many thanks adorabull. The day he is on his own is quite long - 9am to 7:30pm. My sister takes him out for a walk in the middle of the day, but it seems like a very long time to keep him in a crate otherwise. I have started crating him at night now and it's going really well - no fuss and he holds everything until we take him outside in the morning. That one day a week will be the only issue!
Any chance your sister can come take him out at 11:30/12 and then again at 3 or 4 pm? At that age, I wouldn't expect him to be able to go for more than 4-5 hours w/o a potty break. If you crate him, he will stay consistent with crate training and is still getting out twice during the day...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She works full time unfortunately, so she can only come over on her lunch break. Would puppy training pads be a bad idea for that day?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Our new cockapoo puppy comes home tomorrow :) Our plan is to crate from 8:30-11:00, then the dog walker will come take him out to the yard, play with him and put him back in the crate at 11:45. Then I am home at 1:45 and will take over.

We are setting up a pen for "longterm confinement" for times when we cannot supervise 100%. In this area will be his crate with the door open, toys, water, and a potty area. The trainers we spoke with recommended using either real grass on a boot tray (like a roll of sod from Home Depot) or a patch of fake grass. We bought this fake grass:

Amazon.com : Pet Zen Garden 24 inches x 20 inches Premium Synthetic Grass Rubber Backed with Drainage Holes, Fesque Color, 71 Ounce : Pet Supplies

And bought this tray which is the perfect size exactly to match the grass mat:

We will put a pee pad on the tray and the grass on the pee pad to absorb any pee. This is ONLY to be used if we are either away from the house for more than 3 hours and can't crate him, or if we can't supervise him 100% and prevent accidents. The point is for him to have an area where he is "allowed" to pee/poop. The grass/turf surface is so that he learns to eliminate on that same surface as our yard, rather than a soft pad or newspaper.

We'll see how it goes. I would think with your set-up, that this would work well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts