Dog Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

We recently added a new family member. We rescued her from the pound and she's a very happy doggie and loves her new environment.

The only problem is that when we pet her, she immediately rolls over and pees. She doesn't seem afraid, but seems very happy when she does that? Tail is wagging, paws are treading at me and she "smiles".
She's a young dog, just over a year is what the vet reckons.

Does anyone have some experience on this? What is the cause, if any? Most importantly, if anyone has training tips on how I can help her to stop that, I'll be very grateful.

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
433 Posts
All I can think is that she's showing you that she's submissive. She might be afraid and may take more time to feel safe. You don't mention how long you've had her.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, yes true. I forgot to mention that we've had her for almost 4 months now.
It's not a long time, but also not very short.

I appreciate the reply :)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yeah sounds like submission urination
Working with her to each her more commands in general can help
Gives her more confidence in herself! More self-esteem and less fear
You can also reward her for letting you pet her without rolling over (in a nice sit)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
If she is spayed, have her checked for 'spay incontinence' or she could just be a late bloomer with her bladder control...... most dogs outgrow the submissive peeing when they are 'mature and secure' LOL!

Reactions: McCourt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice and interest all, it's appreciated and put my heart more at ease. I'll check all avenues and keep at the training.
So glad I found this great community. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts