Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start off by saying that I have done some reading on the subject already and given my limited options, I'm trying to find out if anyone else has had this specific problem and knows what might work best.

We have two dogs and both are small, neither is a puppy, and both are essentially rescues. We got both from other people not from a shelter and overall have not had any problems from them aside from one liking to bark at things that aren't there, and the other ones biting. The biter is a chihuahua/Pomeranian we believe, and is around 3-4 years old. We got him two years ago and he was a little skittish but overall friendly; he loved playing with the kids (we have all ages), he didn't growl when people approached his food dish or toys, he loved playing with the kids and being pet, and aside from being a little high pitched we had no problems.

The problem came about when my parents took a trip out to Missouri to help deal with funeral arrangements and the possessions of my grandmother. The biter (Dean) is SUPER attached to my dad and when he was gone he had some regression issues with deciding he didn't ant to be housebroken anymore. This lasted a good long while but eventually a new problem popped up which was his sudden hostility primarily towards the younger kids. He started growling more, occasionally even biting them. Rarely did he break the skin though sometimes that was because clothes were in the way. He occasionally would bite the older people but generally he didn't. This is long after my parents got home and before we got our second dog. Suddenly he was territorial over treats and would snap at people that got too close while he had them, and we couldn't figure why.

No major household changes occurred during the time he started biting, and nobody changed how they interacted with him, i.e. kids yanking on his tail, toys being held hostage, being ignored, etc. Everything stayed exactly the same and yet his behaviour changed. We can't find any triggers since sometimes he doesn't mind being near the kids and sometimes he does. He is currently in a muzzle when he isn't on a leash near the food and water or in his crate, but ideally we would like to get our old dog back.

I know at that age with this problem the simplest solution would be to take him to obedience classes, but quite frankly we can't afford them. We are looking for something we could do that a class might instruct us to do, that will teach him not to bite, ideally without requiring us to be bitten repeatedly like with bite inhibition training. The little ones are already fraud of him when his muzzle is off because they don't know what he will decide to do, so just letting themselves be bitten and yelping or ignoring him wouldn't exactly work for them.

Any advice would be helpful and the more the better sice not all methods work with all dogs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know with a puppy like I have that bites and has very sharp pointy teeth ,so blood comes easy , I yelp and do a sharp ou , but I am alone and have the time to test him . and work on being the dominant dog . Wish you luck ,I watch lots of videos and get books from the library ,they seem to help .

·
Registered
223 Posts
If he were mine, I'd have him checked out by a vet. Maybe he's in pain and it's causing him to lash out. You really should rule out any medical issue.

Also, it seems you have a busy household, with a lot of people. Are you quite sure that a child didn't accidently step on him or hurt/scare/tease him somehow? This could be why he seems to be suddenly intolerant of children.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Bite inhibition training (yelping, ignoring) is only for puppies/dogs whom simply don't understand that it's not appropriate to put their mouths on people in play like they would another dog. It's really not something you would use for aggression, regardless of the cause. In fact, it could be counterproductive, since he may be biting because he wants to be left alone/not bothered with. Particularly since he's biting children whom he also lives with, it's really important to involve a trainer who can evaluate him in person and help you formulate a plan to prevent future bites. Often shelters or rescue groups will have trainers that they use or refer people to for low or no cost, so I would start by checking your local animal shelters to see if they have anyone who can help you, and if you turn up nothing there, try emailing some rescue groups and see if they have any suggestions (they usually will go out of their way to try to keep a dog in its home). In the meantime, you should be taking whatever steps necessary to prevent him from injuring the kids and the kids from provoking him. The safest way would be to keep them completely separate, but that is difficult with them both living in the same household, so the sooner you can get professional help, the better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.